PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I had been wanting something different for use as tamper for a while now. I got some inspiration from the Bremen Pipe Smoker and the tampers he makes, so I decided to try and make one of my own. This was my first attempt and I do believe I love it already:
20181021_114658-379x600.jpg

20181021_114630-600x265.jpg

I went to a local woodcrafting store and was in search of some ebony wood, but couldn't find any. They had a LOT of walnut wood in many different shapes, but I bought a piece that was about 6 inches by 12 inches and about 1 inch thick. Then cut myself 2-1 inch square by 12 inch long pieces. Then me and my dremel and orbital sander spent a quality afternoon together with a good cob full of Sleepy Hollow and some coffee. Couldn't have asked for a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon. :puffy:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Well done. I just sold 2 walnut trees at our new house. Apparently walnut from Iowa is considered some of the best.
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/business/everyone-wants-midwest-walnut-20141202

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
It's fantastic! ...and can double as a self defense device! :clap: I gotta say it.... Enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:
Thank you sir! Well, it's not all that sharp, but it could bruise the hell out of someone if I had to use it!
Well done. I just sold 2 walnut trees at our new house. Apparently walnut from Iowa is considered some of the best.
Interesting! So, y'all have something else besides corn, huh? Who'd have thunk it? Oh I would have certainly loved a good chunk of that. I don't have a big enough shop or the tools to work it, but I'm pretty sure I could make a lot of stuff out of that!
Thanks, Neal! It was fun!

Jan 8, 2013
After making this one, I've thought about making more. I think the place I bought my walnut wood did have some Olivewood. I did snag a piece of Zebrawood that I plan to shape and see how it looks too.
Nice! :clap:

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Nice work bud,Rack and now this..nice piece.If you do the Zebra wood be sure to post a picture of that.I am sure it will look super cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.