PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I’d like to chime in and say relights are part of the hobby as is with tamping. As for how dry it’s all personal preference and the tobacco itself. Just feel it out but don’t get too impatient with relighting. I’m usually relighting two to seven times a bowl on avg and rarely have a smoke where I don’t have to relight at all.

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
When i first started i focused so much on getting the pack perfect. Now i just load my pipe without much much thought. Depending on what im smoking its not uncommom to have multiple relights. Tamping often helps alot. The blend you smoke, the cut of the tobacco, moisture all play a part.
For me, my VA and VaPer blends i dry to just shy of crispy. My codger blends i smoke right outta the pouch. My aromatics i let dry either overnight or a few hours. Ribbon cut i pack looser and for flake i usually rub it out as ive not had much success with fold and stuff.
Keep playing around with it and it will all fall into place soon enough.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It’s all a personal preference! ;)

Experiment with different blends and see what you like the best, it really depends on the leaf, casing(s) and topping(s). 👍

Don’t worry about relights, especially with delicate or complex blends, because constant fire and heat will kill off a lot of subtlety, that you would otherwise notice if you only lit the blend enough to only take a few sips, and let it cool down before relighting.

So drying and relighting really depends on these things mentioned.

P.S. I personally smoke delicate and subtle blends, that are complex, keeping them always lit is a no no, otherwise they loose the flavors.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
One thing to note is that tobacco can feel quite crispy to the touch but still have a decent amount of moisture. Back when I gave a thought to Cuban cigars, which are often way too tight, I dry boxed them at 50% for a few months before smoking. And they smoked perfectly fine.

I was gifted a small sample of Key Largo that must have been some years old. It felt very crispy and I could almost rub it to powder, yet when I placed a hygrometer in the bag for a few days... 62%.

Here in Atlanta our indoor humidity averages 50% year round. It would be quite a chore to make tobacco too dry in these conditions. If you live in Yuma, YMMV.

Reactions: Esrafel

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
First off, if you want to get the most out of this "wee vice" as it is known in some circles, it's fine to seek out the knowledge of others, but you need to experiment to find out what works for you.

In my experience, "how dry" depends on the type of blend. Since I mostly smoke Virginias and their variants, well dried, but not dried out, tobacco works best for me, as too much moisture masks flavors. I prefer most of my Virginias at just shy of bone dry, dry to the touch when squeezed, no sensation of moisture rising against my skin when squeezing a pinch to test for moisture. The tobacco might be a little crispy at the ends, but still pliant and not dried to dust.

English, Balkan, Oriental blends can be smoked straight from the tin, as their highly aromatic leaves produce plenty of flavors regardless of moisture content. These blends are the easiest to smoke and the most forgiving of a lack of technique. Dried down they will also give more detailed flavors, but they are flavor bombs to begin with. These blends are the easiest for the beginner,

OTC's are generally fine straight out of the tin. They were formulated for to be enjoyed by people who don't go in for all "that thar fussy stilly stuff" and deliver the gods with no fuss or muss. Also a perfect genre for the beginner and just about everybody.

Aromatics and semi-aromatics, which these days refer to blends with very noticeable toppings, often of fruit, vanilla, rose geranium, etc, are probably the most difficult to get right, despite their long standing status as a "beginner" genre. The trick is to find the level of moisture which preserves the flavorings while reducing the goopiness, and possibility of tongue bite. Since the base of these is mostly Virginias, I dry them down until the toppings are more like a reduction than a broth. Dried too much and the toppings are dulled down.

Different blends respond differently to changes in moisture, prep, packing. With every new blend that I try, I experiment with it to find what offers the best experience for me, generally starting with something that has worked well for me before and then doing a "ring around" around that "preset".

Another thing to keep in mind is that different labels tin at different moisture levels. Most of the Hearth and Home line are tinned at what is thought to be the ideal moisture level of about 10 to 12 %. Other labels add much more moisture in the tin with the intent of preserving the contents from drying out before being consumed, some because they believe that the water has a beneficial effect on the properties of aging, and still other labels tin at a variety of moisture levels.

It's good to ask questions, but you'll need to experiment to find useful answers.
^^^^
Best answer yet

Reactions: LeafErikson

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
First off, if you want to get the most out of this "wee vice" as it is known in some circles, it's fine to seek out the knowledge of others, but you need to experiment to find out what works for you.

In my experience, "how dry" depends on the type of blend. Since I mostly smoke Virginias and their variants, well dried, but not dried out, tobacco works best for me, as too much moisture masks flavors. I prefer most of my Virginias at just shy of bone dry, dry to the touch when squeezed, no sensation of moisture rising against my skin when squeezing a pinch to test for moisture. The tobacco might be a little crispy at the ends, but still pliant and not dried to dust.

English, Balkan, Oriental blends can be smoked straight from the tin, as their highly aromatic leaves produce plenty of flavors regardless of moisture content. These blends are the easiest to smoke and the most forgiving of a lack of technique. Dried down they will also give more detailed flavors, but they are flavor bombs to begin with. These blends are the easiest for the beginner,

OTC's are generally fine straight out of the tin. They were formulated for to be enjoyed by people who don't go in for all "that thar fussy stilly stuff" and deliver the gods with no fuss or muss. Also a perfect genre for the beginner and just about everybody.

Aromatics and semi-aromatics, which these days refer to blends with very noticeable toppings, often of fruit, vanilla, rose geranium, etc, are probably the most difficult to get right, despite their long standing status as a "beginner" genre. The trick is to find the level of moisture which preserves the flavorings while reducing the goopiness, and possibility of tongue bite. Since the base of these is mostly Virginias, I dry them down until the toppings are more like a reduction than a broth. Dried too much and the toppings are dulled down.

Different blends respond differently to changes in moisture, prep, packing. With every new blend that I try, I experiment with it to find what offers the best experience for me, generally starting with something that has worked well for me before and then doing a "ring around" around that "preset".

Another thing to keep in mind is that different labels tin at different moisture levels. Most of the Hearth and Home line are tinned at what is thought to be the ideal moisture level of about 10 to 12 %. Other labels add much more moisture in the tin with the intent of preserving the contents from drying out before being consumed, some because they believe that the water has a beneficial effect on the properties of aging, and still other labels tin at a variety of moisture levels.

It's good to ask questions, but you'll need to experiment to find useful answers.
istockphoto-1156807180-612x612.jpeg

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
You guys have been really helpful. Thanks. I know relights are par for the course but it was getting to the point of being a little annoying. Drying things further than I thought I should before hearing all this has helped a lot.

I also suspect constant relights were irritating my throat. Im experiencing less of this now. It wasnt a wet smoke becuse i use meer chips or a filter. I think it was consantly sucking at a hot pipe when lighting.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
As of now I am now running about 15 to 20 percent for VA, Burley and Latakia and aromatics 23 to 28. All in vacuum sealed jars. I've varied a bit over the years. I'll take out a bowl and let it sit overnight for the morning and then pack another in the morning for the evening. My house runs dry in winter around 20 to 25 percent humidity and 40 to 50 percent in the summer. Over the years I've found drier is better and truly dried out tobacco really is drier than one would think.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I also suspect constant relights were irritating my throat. Im experiencing less of this now. It wasnt a wet smoke becuse i use meer chips or a filter. I think it was consantly sucking at a hot pipe when lighting.
A lot of my "tongue bite" in the past turned out to be due to relights. The tobacco was too wet or packed too firm, and I hadn't yet figured out to move my tongue out of the way when relighting, so it just got zapped.

Reactions: Esrafel

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Constantly relighting shouldn’t be creating problems, this should have more to do with the preparation, packing, smoking cadence, etc., and possibly the type of matter burning..

I never keep my pipe lit, I always only take a few sips, and if it’s a blend I find, can endure more fire and heat, I might take a few extra sips before letting it go out.

‘I am A Constant Relighter! ;) LOL 😝

In fact, my average bowl smoking times are around 6 hours, and I’m relighting every 10 mins on average, and it never causes me irritation.

I’m also Ultra Sensitive, so if it was a problem, I would be the Poster Child of Relighting Aggravations.

Sure, the flame can be hot/irritating, but the smoking style, drawing the flame to quick into the chamber, or lighting it up into a big glowing ember, possibly creating to much heat in the mouth, could be the culprit.

OR, something I’ve not recalled ever seeing talked about, is the matter combusting as a possible irritant, os maybe the choice of materials used for lighting, you are sensitive to.

Wooden matches (wood)
Butane
Lighter fluid...
etc etc...

If you use wooden matches, try a lighter, if it’s butane, try lighter fluid instead.

I’ve personally noticed with cheap butane, this bothers my mouth.

P.S. I use Newport Zero in my IM Corona Old Boy. Made in England too @halfdan ;)

Last edited:

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Like others have said I don’t EVER dry, as the tin or jar goes down it will dry automatically. i like moist tobacco anyhow. Only with Samuel Gawith flakes did I have issues, until I figured out you have to shred ‘em up fine.

Cloozoe

Sep 1, 2023
As The Bard saideth, experiment. It's really the only way since if you laid all the pipe smokers in the world end to end you'd find they still didn't reach a conclusion.*

*apologies to gb shaw for the blatant theft and paraphrase

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm not a fan of really dry tobacco, while some want their tobacco bone dry, to me it's not enjoyable. Like others have said, just experiment. You'll find that you enjoy some tobaccos more when they're dryer than others, and you may find others more enjoyable when they have a bit more moisture than others. Also, which pipe you smoke said tobacco in can play a factor in your enjoyment of the tobacco.

Personally, I've never been bothered by relights. I've smoked bowls where I didn't have to relight once, and I've smoked bowls that I've had to relight 10+ times. The number of relights hasn't been a concern for me. To me smoking a pipe is a relaxing ritual which starts with selecting my tobacco, selecting my pipe, loading my pipe, etc. and relights are just part of that ritual.

As they say, practice makes perfect, so the more you enjoy your pipes the more you'll find what works best for you.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I take a bit of tobacco and squeeze between two fingers. If it sticks together and does not unravel after releasing it's too wet. If it unravels it's generally good to smoke. If it crumbles when I press it together it's too dry. Pretty sure I got the hint from GLP.

I do not prefer dry tobacco, or tobacco dust.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I smoke various blends straight from the jar but some minor to medium drying has helped. Im also packing lighter and lighter.

Mar 1, 2014
Some blends don't burn even when they're bone dry (usually Virginia flake), others can burn out of control even if it's sopping wet (usually aromatics).

G

Gimlet

Some blends don't burn even when they're bone dry (usually Virginia flake), others can burn out of control even if it's sopping wet (usually aromatics).
The Petersons virginia/ perique blends I smoke do go dry very quickly once the tin is opened. I'd rather they were moister to start with.
Always found their flakes to be in perfect condition but their ribbon cuts are often dry. A tin of Irish Cask I opened yesterday was too dry and is smoking quite hot.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden