PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
Just found a Medico Jet Stream pipe unsmoked when found. Smokes great but I never heard of them before. Any one here know anything about them?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Medico is an old inexpensive 'drugstore' filtered pipe brand similar to Dr Grabow. 8)
PS: I have not had any luck at all with finding estate pipes locally. Have searched through easily 12 antique shops and hundreds of flea market booths and tables. Bumming out here! But I will not give up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice find! Many of those "drugstore" pipes were solid briar with durable stems. At the time, in the fifties for

example, the filtering systems were a competitive edge introduced to distinguish a pipe and make it outsell

the competition, when pipe smoking had a wide following, maybe in the tens of millions. Today, many of the

Medico and Yello-Bole offerings are made of the synthetic Brylon which came into use in the sixties. There

are still new Medico and Yello-Bole pipes made out of briar with push bits available, but you have to hunt for

them. Brylon isn't widely recommended, but several Forums members recommend it for hard use, such as

working in fire reclamation sites and other rough situations. To find a Medico unsmoked is unusual I would

think. They were a consumer item, buy 'em and pack 'em.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm glad is smokes great!

I know of Medico but not that "Jet Stream" stuff.

Well, what did y'a give for it?

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
My wife (bless her heart) went on a hunt at a few antique stores to find a Dunhill, Pete, Sav for me for Christmas.she knows nothing of pipes, but in her kind nature found an old round six pipe desktop rest that the shop owner threw some grungy pipe in with it to get rid of them I guess. No eureka pipe but out of the five I was able to clean and moderately restore to nice enough smokers. The star of the show was a Digby (gbd second) square shank billiard with an excellent drilling, the stem however has some deep indents and a poor buff job, but is an excellent smoker. A nice enough Woodie with stinger intact, same thing with the stem.

A Grabow/Viking x over. And a Falcon that cleaned up rather nicely. I have had but one bowl in it, it smokes nicely, but, I personally do not have the attraction to them as others do. I may be selling or trading the falcon and Vike soon enough.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
imagejpg1-2.jpg
[/url][/img

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I think the jet stream pipes were slim profile to fit better in a suit pocket. Kaywoodie made one. Yello Bole probably did too.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Ha ha! flintlockjohn, I'm on it :)
I love my Jet Streams. I bid on them whenever they come up on ebay.
medicojet_zps9c514a0f.jpg

romeowood has a huge collection of them.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Htmn...I just reread the OP and realized your question was about Jet Stream and not Medico. The rest of the posts taught me something too, thanks.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's a 1960 ad for Medico pipes with a Jet Stream listed for $3.95. That's just about what I paid for my last one.
medicoad1960_zpseddec118.jpg

In inflation adjusted dollars that $3.95 equates to about $30.00 in today's money.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love my Jet Stream as well. I had read they smoke hot, but I think that guy just didn't know how to puff. Mine smokes just fine and is a nice unique shape that is comfortable to hold. If i remember, I will link a pic when I get home.
Nice Score!

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
My pipe has a oval shape round chamber however the stem is at the top of the pipe rather than the bottom. I paid 15 bucks for it. since it was unsmoked I didn't complain.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I got the better of an antique store last week, I scored a nice Butz Choquim versailles 1658, it pretty much looks like a Canadian. It was one of those finds where you aren't looking for a pipe, you've said you aren't buying anymore pipes because 30 is enough and you don't even smoke them all, but damnit, that's one nice pipe and for 15$ you just wouldn't sleep well thinking about it after if you never bought it.

Then where I really got them was on a Boker King Cutter 5/8 straight razor in pretty much mint condition. The only thing wrong with it is one of the scales are cracked in half, so I'm just going to order a pair. Going from the stamp it's from 1920-1930, the case it was in looks old and worn, and then to see what was inside this mint razor with only a cracked in half handle, so this desperate "as is" price for 20$. Now seeing them online selling for over 100$ in nowhere near as good shape I'm laughing. Plus it came shave ready, shaves like a dream, I'm going from a gold dollar to this, and man is there a difference you can feel.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
My pipe has a oval shape round chamber however the stem is at the top of the pipe rather than the bottom. I paid 15 bucks for it. since it was unsmoked I didn't complain. look like the one in the add.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I picked up 2 Medicos at my local B+M. A varsity volcano and a husky dublin that are great smokers once I removed the varnish cover, they got a little hot before removing it. Both are rusticated and nice and light in the clench. I hope to find some estate Medico pipes in the future.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My current rotation includes an old Frank Medico, a Finsbury II and my favorite Jet Stream with a bent stem.

If these were my only three pipes I'd be quite satisfied. Next week it'll be three others though.
IMG_20150101_141240_571_zpsea7aa9ed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.