PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
With the political climate concerning tobacco consumption, there being literally no place to smoke, I'm shocked these operations haven't franchised. Smokers are always seeking the rare smokey lounges vanishing into extinction. With so few smokers, it makes sense to cater to, what seems to be, a clientele with disposable income, a true Smokers Haven ;) perhaps located near major airports :)

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I agree, yet 99% of my business is in and out, cash and carry business. I don't know where people are smoking all this tobacco, but it's not in my lounge.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Whippany NJ store is usually packed. You can barely move on a Saturday. Hopefully the expanded lounge (under construction on my last visit) gives that locale some breathing room.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
They need one in Southern NJ. If they need commercial real estate help I would be more than happy to show them around.

Dec 24, 2012
I was sad when I read this. Whenever we drive to Florida from Canada I always made it a habit that we drive through Statesville NC so that I can stop at JR and load up on cigars. I am sad to learn this location is gone. I wonder if there is another along the same route.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There's one in Burlington, NC right off I-40, but it's almost two hours away from Statesville.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
They closed the one in Statesville but opened a new store under their new lounge concept in Mooresville, just south of Statesville a little off I-77.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there's still one just off I-95 at or around Smithfield N.C. This was definitely of the discount mall genre last time I was there, but they had a good sized humidor with a big inventory of cigars and a substantial stock of pipe tobacco, tins and tubs. They seemed to always have business in the humidor and several staff members.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I keep hoping that Costco will open a pipe/cigar store. This sounds a lot like what they're intending, although the wording is somewhat vague.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It would be interesting to see how Costco would handle cigars and pipes. According to a TV feature on Costco I saw, one of their marketing principles is not to offer too many choices of brands and variety to the consumer because it stymies buyers and often stalls their decisions. But a large array of choices is part of the cigar and pipe tobacco ethos, and pipe buying as well, so Costco might have to adjust or compromise, or limit their sales, and volume is everything in this business plan. I'll stay tuned. I'm off warehouse club retailers because I don't find the larger quantities cost effective, but I'm always interested to follow the trends.

Status
Not open for further replies.