PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview on tonight's Pipes Magazine Radio Show is with Jon David Cole. JD is the Owner/Tobacconist at The Country Squire in Jackson, MS, and he is the co-host of the podcast, Country Squire Radio. After a 10-year run, and approaching their 500th episode, it was announced that they would record their last episode live on March 4 at a big party in Jackson, MS. Read the press release here. In addition to talking about the podcast and the retail store, our main discussion will be JD’s recommended pipe tobaccos in each genre that are readily available for purchase, as opposed to vintage collectible tobaccos that are hard to get. At the top of the show, Brian will answer a question on how to proceed when your friend wants to try smoking a pipe for the first time.

Jon-David-Cole.jpg

rick3wood

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
The Lone Star State
great show as always Brian.. but. lol. asking a new pipe smoker to spend 75 on first pipe is not a great idea, get in cheaply as he can, ...feeling he has to smoke because he spent the money makes no sense and takes smoking for the fun of it away.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I loved heard Jon David's opinions on blends for different categories. Though I first smoked a pipe over a decade ago, I'm still quite the novice when it comes to figuring out blends. It's great to have recommendations from long time smokers and blenders.

As you might guess from my username, I'm trying to "graduate" to Virginias and Burleys as I prefer English Aromatics and Englishes. Haven't found ones I've liked yet but the search (and the joy of searching) continues.

I appreciated the comments about tobacco reviews and describing notes and flavors. I've read reviews about often hear about citrus-y and grass-y Virginias and nutty Burleys and have no idea how those describe what I'm tasting. I realize I just need more time to learn and detect those notes in what I'm smoking.

In response to your question about why I'm not a podcast guy, I just never listened to them as I found I didn't find I had time for a 15 minute bowl a week, let alone a 1 hour podcast. But after committing to get more physical activity starting with some modest walking, I've found that to be an opportunity to listen to you show regularly and dabbling in others. I've listened to every episode since the Pete Provost interview and have started listening to some back episodes.

Finally in contrast to the one viewer's take that you and Rick seemed to be talking down about single malts and English blends, I appreciated how strong your (along with Jon David's) opinions on them. I think it's great to hear what people like and hate as long as they don't look down on others that like them, something that I didn't find any of you doing.

Looking forward to listing to more shows ahead, finding out about your love for Disney, and hearing about more tobacco recommendations from other, especially from us burnt-hair-aro lovers.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Another great show. Glad to hear that Jon David will be checking in occasionally.

As a lifelong Rush fan I can only say that you chose well in your musical selection. Great lyrics, great music, great performance.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Really enjoyed Jon David. It was good to hear him expounding on tobacco without his annoying side kick. I was sad his show is coming to an end but I think we all understand the demands it takes on a person. I look forward to his regular visits to the show. Keep plugging along Brian. Your show is my primary pipe show and I would hate to lose you too.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Thank you Kevin & Brian,
Great show, as always.
JD is always a great interview and an all round solid guy, and knows his tobaccos. I need to try and get back to the States so that I van meet up with you guy, tobacconists & pipe guys alike!
I really enjoyed the music. It took me back to my youth, when I was introduced to Rush, by a high school friend,
I was a new romantic, Rush? huh! anyway, it stuck with me, and over the years of course my tastes changed, I miss the old days! My tastes, these days, are very much elective, which of course I'm thankful of. However, some of the shit that is produced nowadays, leaves much to be desired!

Thanks, as always, Cliff-Honkytonk Man.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
Brian,

Great show as always. I don't really listen to CSR as I have way too many other podcasts and books that enjoy listening to, but what a truly class act. Great to have tobacconists like Country Squire and many others still taking care of the pipe smoker. I wish them continued success.

Jason