PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I'm listening to Peer Gynt suite 1 and 2, and thought it might be a good time to jot down a few thoughts about this tasty blend.
The tin description lists golden Virginia, black Cavendish, and a hint of Perique.The mixture is mostly ribbon, with the lighter tan/golden ribbon well mixed with the chunkier Cavendish. I don't know if it's the Cavendish treatment that makes the ribbons curl up into the chunks, or if it's a different cut entirely.

The moisture is good, but I let it dry in the pipe for about an hour while I was finishing up my work. Truth be told, I was really busy and just lost track of time.
The nose of this is absolutely delicious. The orange liqueur leans more toward a sweet orange than a dry, and the tobacco underneath has a rich quality, not chocolate, (that is to say, it doesn't smell like cocoa) , but the combination of that dark rich sweetness and the orange liqueur reminds me a bit of a chocolate orange.

I've enjoyed it in my Jensen bent brandy, and found it to be a very tasty smoke. The orange is up front, but calms down by mid bowl. There are occasional spicy/peppery notes that are more ginger than perique to my palate.
It burned nicely, not too hot, no goop.
I'd call it a low to medium low nicotine blend. I wouldn't smoke it all day, but it's nice dessert.

I've ordered a few more tins, because this is just good stuff, and while I am not feeling like I need to go hard and cellar up, it is a tasty aromatic that I will enjoy.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Staggerlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2021
Clearwater Florida
I'm listening to Peer Gynt suite 1 and 2, and thought it might be a good time to jot down a few thoughts about this tasty blend.
The tin description lists golden Virginia, black Cavendish, and a hint of Perique.The mixture is mostly ribbon, with the lighter tan/golden ribbon well mixed with the chunkier Cavendish. I don't know if it's the Cavendish treatment that makes the ribbons curl up into the chunks, or if it's a different cut entirely.

The moisture is good, but I let it dry in the pipe for about an hour while I was finishing up my work. Truth be told, I was really busy and just lost track of time.
The nose of this is absolutely delicious. The orange liqueur leans more toward a sweet orange than a dry, and the tobacco underneath has a rich quality, not chocolate, (that is to say, it doesn't smell like cocoa) , but the combination of that dark rich sweetness and the orange liqueur reminds me a bit of a chocolate orange.

I've enjoyed it in my Jensen bent brandy, and found it to be a very tasty smoke. The orange is up front, but calms down by mid bowl. There are occasional spicy/peppery notes that are more ginger than perique to my palate.
It burned nicely, not too hot, no goop.
I'd call it a low to medium low nicotine blend. I wouldn't smoke it all day, but it's nice dessert.

I've ordered a few more tins, because this is just good stuff, and while I am not feeling like I need to go hard and cellar up, it is a tasty aromatic that I will enjoy.
What blend is it?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
C&D makes it. It was this year's Christmas blend (also came out in 2018). I am just about to finish up my last 2018 tin this week and picked up a few of this year to replace.

It's certainly a good and unique aromatic being a va/per/cav with the orange/ginger topping. I'm a fan of it as is my wife when I smoke it in the house, which is always a plus.

Staggerlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2021
Clearwater Florida
C&D makes it. It was this year's Christmas blend (also came out in 2018). I am just about to finish up my last 2018 tin this week and picked up a few of this year to replace.

It's certainly a good and unique aromatic being a va/per/cav with the orange/ginger topping. I'm a fan of it as is my wife when I smoke it in the house, which is always a plus.
It sounds delicious. Thanks.

Reactions: Jacob74

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
For me, it's one I liked it a lot better after the tin had aired quite a bit - the tin note to me was a little off-putting at first and aroma/flavor both improved. I went from wondering who I would dump my other tins on (ordered a few) to being happy I kept it.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I've also really liked this blend, it's entered the pantheon of aromatic blends that actually manage orange flavor. I'm not a huge aromatic guy but it really hits a lot of notes without feeling flat or boring. It can give you a sour orange rind note if you chase it or get it too hot.