PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
crash, I believe that Ostermann's stamped every pipe with their JO stamp, not just the higher end pieces. As a seller it actually helps a lot to know a little about the pipes history.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

P

pipebuddy

Funny. I had no idea that merchants could do that. Which is good for the reason you stated, Mike. Thanks, mate.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thanks, briarblues (Michael). I assumed that they would skip the stamp on the higher end stuff, but it really does make sense. I wonder if some people are turned off by the extra stamp. I'm willing to bet at least some people like to seek them out.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
crash, I can say that yes, some buyers prefer not to see a retailers mark on a pipe. Or that has been the case for many of my clients.

I have never been lucky enough to visit the Ostermann's shop. A friend was there years ago and from the photo's he had in a magazine it was crazy. Drawers and drawers filled with pipes. Display cabinets's and wall displays filled with pipe. I means thousands of pipes. I wonder where they all went once Eva and her Parents closed the shop. IN Austria tobacco is not sold in "pipe shops". Tobacco is sold in tobacco shops and pipes in "pipe shops", so Eva told me.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Oct 7, 2016
Over the years, I have had a grand total of 2 Castellos with the JO stamp pass through my hands, one a Sea Rock 215 and the other a smallish kkkk Collection Canadian that had ruler straight grain and should have been a Fiamatta. I heard from an Italian source years ago that the shop was one of Scotti's oldest and most loyal accounts, almost as important to the early acceptance of the brand as Wally Frank.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
oldgeezer, I would bet that is correct. The shop had been around for a very long time. But with the internet there was a problem. In the beginning Castello did not want pipes shown on the internet. Ostermann's showed a listing for Castello as far as they carried the pipes, but never showed any of their inventory on line, so Castello sales through the shop pretty much had to be done directly in the shop. That is why you do not see many Castello's with the JO stamp in North America
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Nice piece of history there guys! Learned something new today. Thats why I read these forums, always interesting stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.