PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Terrific! I will miss it by a few weeks, but always stop by there.

O/T: @warren Dukes is a favorite here, too, but I couldn't believe the room prices now! Over $1200!! I am staying at the Royal Horseguards hotel, without the horses or guards for considerably less. Hope this choice works out. Within spitting distance of the river.
I couldn't believe the hotel prices, such a sheltered life, lol, but most looked really cool. We found an amazing holiday rental in a quiet mews in Knightsbridge for less than $400 a night - just a hop and skip to Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens and a couple of great museums and for us (to keep the suitcases to a minimum), the joy of being able to do laundry, lol. Never been, now just have to get through winter once it starts, lol.

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Enjoy it! I'll miss you by about five days. Worth going on a weekday as their lounge gets very busy at weekends.

I'd also recommend Segar & Snuff in Covent Garden. They only stock their own blends, but the shop is worth visiting just to see how small it is!

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
We actually planned the visit around the idea of opening a 30-ish year old tin of JJ Fox Vintage Mixture, procured at last year's Chicago Show, at the store as a kind of homecoming event. But in emailing the manager we discovered that UK law states only tobacco purchased on the premises day-of can be enjoyed in a smoking lounge.

So I'll just buy up all the Rich Dark Flake they have on hand and climb the stairs to have a bowl or three.

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
We actually planned the visit around the idea of opening a 30-ish year old tin of JJ Fox Vintage Mixture, procured at last year's Chicago Show, at the store as a kind of homecoming event. But in emailing the manager we discovered that UK law states only tobacco purchased on the premises day-of can be enjoyed in a smoking lounge.

So I'll just buy up all the Rich Dark Flake they have on hand and climb the stairs to have a bowl or three.
Yeah that's true. And if you buy cigarettes or RYO from them you still can't smoke it in there.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
What a marvelous time we had. I do tend to get uneasy when the staff at a place is better dressed than I am, but it was still a very welcoming environment.

We were able to meet up with a forum member for a brief but wonderful conversation. Thankfully they will be traveling to the States next year so we ought to be able to return the favor.

They had no Germaine's blends on hand save for some aromatics I wasn't into. Despite the fact that the son of the founder of JJ Fox's was instrumental in developing tobacco production in the Jersey Isles and is surely one of their oldest accounts - the clerk told me that their new arrangement with Germaine's is "they send us what they feel like when they get around to it." Yikes.

So we happily availed ourselves of some G&H tobaccos. The staff was very helpful with the complex international financing paperwork.

Last edited: