Jim's Sutliff Pipe Force Episode IV Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Pleased am I. There is no puff, only sip.

No pics because my phone is needed for CarPlay while I'm doing some installation on my Jeep, but let some dry a bit and now enjoying while taking a break in a folding camp chair in the garage listening to good music (after all I chose it all, haha) and admiring my handiwork while waiting for brunch, and typing a run on sentence! Oh, in a Morgan Bones Kiwi, perfect pipe for working.

Because I'm hearing it, to Darth Vader I say, "I, I, I, I'm not your stepping stone!"

To me this is English, not English and I could see enjoying this after a day afield with the dogs (or during, for that matter).

Thanks @JimInks for the review, this is one I would have passed on, now glad I have 4 tins, probably more than I need but Hallmark reminds me Christmas is around the corner folks!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Well, I received my seven tins today. I know coins are randomly inserted in about 1/10 tins. Do we know if stickers and patches are prizes being included with the tins? Or are they just promo items that were made to promote the tobacco?

I weighed all of the tins I received and they vary quite a bit:

1) 156 grams
2) 155 grams
3) 122 grams
4) 120 grams
5) 120 grams
6) 118 grams
7) 117 grams

Seems like I lucked out and got two coins (tins 1 and 2), which works out well since my buddy Chris is a Star Wars fan and is getting two tins out of the seven—we’ll each get a coin!

I’m wondering if tins 3, 4, and 5 contain a patch or sticker, and 6 and 7 no bonus.

Has anyone else weighed tins and/or opened them to see if there is a correlation with the prize and number of grams the total tin weighs?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Well, I received my seven tins today. I know coins are randomly inserted in about 1/10 tins. Do we know if stickers and patches are prizes being included with the tins? Or are they just promo items that were made to promote the tobacco?

1) 156 grams
2) 155 grams
3) 122 grams
4) 120 grams
5) 120 grams
6) 118 grams
7) 117 grams

Seems like I lucked out and got two coins (tins 1 and 2), which works out well since my buddy Chris is a Star Wars fan and is getting two tins out of the seven—we’ll each get a coin!

I’m wondering if tins 3, 4, and 5 contain a patch or sticker, and 6 and 7 no bonus.

Has anyone else weighed tins and/or opened them to see if there is a correlation with the prize and number of grams the total tin weighs?
I’ll be using the coffee bean scale this evening! I had one in the tin I opened and assumed they were in all of them, lol.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

1) 156 grams
2) 155 grams
3) 122 grams
4) 120 grams
5) 120 grams
6) 118 grams
7) 117 grams

No and I had forgotten about the goodies, but I need to remember and weigh the 4 I just got.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Wyomingpiper

Lurker
Aug 1, 2021
Wyoming
If you knew how long it took me to write it from review notes to final edit, you'd buy me a shot of booze, man! :) Or at least an ice cream cone. :) Seriously, I had to give a lot of thought about this one because there was so much to consider, so it's longer than my usual reviews. It was not an easy one to write, but I wanted to be thorough with the facts of my experience with the blend. I imagine this will be true for all the blends in this series.
I can see why you had a hard time reviewing this one. I wouldn't know where to start. It's got a lot going on at different times in the smoke, and sometimes I taste flavors that I would never expect based on the components. But I have to search them out.

It's also sweeter and less tangy than I expected. The stoving must be the reason for that.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I can see why you had a hard time reviewing this one. I wouldn't know where to start. It's got a lot going on at different times in the smoke, and sometimes I taste flavors that I would never expect based on the components. But I have to search them out.

It's also sweeter and less tangy than I expected. The stoving must be the reason for that.
Per Jensen wanted stoved tobaccos for just this reason. It really changed the concept of these six blends coming out. The next one is all stoved. It is truly something to behold.

Wyomingpiper

Lurker
Aug 1, 2021
Wyoming
I also smoked a bowl with the moisture it came with and one quite dry. It tastes similar to me both ways, but it seems to burn better for me drier, but it burns pretty good either way.

Reactions: macaroni

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

My review is “good”! All I’ve got.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Very true. And depending on what else and how much of it is in the mix, stoved Virginia can disguise aspects of other tobaccos to one extent or another.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I did not get along with this one. Tasted VERY bitter to me and left a horrible taste in my mouth. Donated my open tin to my pipe club buddies. I'm not even sure what it was in there that made such a horrible impression on me.