PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
This goes on sale May 17 at 6 P.M. EST.

The very nutty, bready, sugary, earthy, woody, cocoa-ish, slight molasses-like burleys takes a small lead much of the time. The rugged Nicotiana Rustica offers a fair amount of earth, wood, toasted bread, vegetative grass, floralness, herbs, sugar, spice, mildly zesty tart and tangy citrus, a little peat, leathery cigar, tea, tartly acidic sour lemon, and smoke. It’s a strong supporting player that occasionally shares the lead with the burleys. The stoved Virginia produces a fair amount of stewed dark fruit, earth, wood, sugar, bread, mild floralness, and light spice. It’s a couple of steps behind the Rustica. Not far behind the stoved Va. is the red Virginia, which furnishes some tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, mild sugar, floralness, light vegetation, spice, and touches of smoke and vinegar. The strength and nic-hit are in the center of medium to strong. The taste edges past that center. There’s no bite or harshness although there are a few light rough notes. This easily broken apart, mildly moist crumble cake needs no dry time. Deeply rich with some complexity, it burns cool, clean and a tad slow with a fruity, sweet, nutty, floral, mildly spicy, sour, savory flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is pleasant to tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights. It’s not an all day smoke, but it is certainly repeatable. I suggest a wide bowl, e.g., pot, egg, or apple to capture the multiplicity of nuances as crumble cake blends rarely have a totally consistent flavor profile. Four stars.
Hey Man, Thanks for another informative understandable review, hats off as always.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Tres for me. Grabbed 10 of Anomalous, and I think that was a bit silly. Maybe I’ll have something to trade for down the road: good blend, which I like quite a bit, just probably don’t need that many tins.

Reactions: UncleRasta

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Sounds good. Just pulled the trigger for 2 tins. I am still struggling with how to build a cellar, stockpiling my favorites or having variety. I buy 1 to try, and 1 to cellar. I can buy more if I really like it.
I’m going with the latter approach. I figure anything really worth stockpiling will eventually be available on the consignment market, so might as well fill my cellar up with a variety. I’m probably well over 100 different tins now, so who knows if I’ll ever really find a favorite anyway.

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Still plenty if it out there it seems. I’m wondering as people were unable to to get previous entries in the series demand progressively slipped. Uno disappeared immediately and each one after has seemed slightly more available than the prior.

Reactions: UncleRasta

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Still plenty if it out there it seems. I’m wondering as people were unable to to get previous entries in the series demand progressively slipped. Uno disappeared immediately and each one after has seemed slightly more available than the prior.
People tend to get tired of the limited releases and you you never know just how many tins of each were produced. The better something sells the more is made the next time and the time after until you saturate the market in the end.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I called in to SP to add 2 more to my order of 2 (4 total) and they said they expect it will sell out by the end of the day.