Jim's Sutliff Blackthorn Shillelagh Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This is in an eight ounce tin, and goes on sale Feb. 6 at 6 p.m. EST.

The deeply rich Irish whiskey topping provides a fair amount of fruity sweetness, oak, earth, barley, mild tart sourness, light smoke, floralness, vanilla and nuts as the lead component. Though its application is medium to strong, it doesn’t totally down out the varietals. The gold Virginias offer some tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, floralness, mild sour lemon, spice, and a touch of acidity as the most obvious tobacco. The earthy, woody, nutty, molasses and sugary burleys play a full support role. The sugary black cavendish is a couple of steps behind the burleys. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of notches past the center of mild to medium. The taste just reaches the medium threshold. Won't bite or get harsh, and barely has any rough notes. The tobacco is mildly moist and requires no dry time. It burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent fruity and mildly sour, nutty, floral, sugary Irish whiskey flavor that extends to a pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is fairly pleasant. Leaves little dampness in the bowl. Doesn’t require many relights. Can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.
©Jim Amash 2024.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
@JimInks
Thank you for this review. Unfortunately, I can not find anything on the tobacco. Which online store will have it in stock?
Is it a limited edition?
I am assuming it will be sold by all retailers just as Maple Shadows was. I don't know if it is a limited edition. I kind of suspect it is only because written at the bottom of the tobacco description is "Happy St. Patrick's Day." Since that day is in March, I figure it'll be around a little while, but I'm only guessing.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
These tins were a great deal at the Chicago Pipe Show — $20. They were also selling tins of Maple Shadows, which makes me think that maybe it’ll be sold once again this year. Or maybe Jeremy just had a stash.

I smoked my first bowl of Blackthorn Shillelagh a couple days ago. I thought it was quite pleasant. I thought it smelled like Bailey’s Irish Cream Liqueur.

Reactions: Chalaw87