Jim's Sutliff Aberrant (Signature Series) Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The newest Per George Jensen creation, Aberrant in the Signature Series, is due to be released October 14. Here's my review.

The potent Nicotiana Rustica provides a lot of earth, wood, spice, peaty vegetation, floralness, sugar, mild tart and tangy citrus, a little cigar, tea, smoke, leather, incense, and a small sour bitter note. While it is the lead component, it doesn’t dominate the proceedings. The red and bright Virginias are a little more obvious than the stoved as strong supporting players. They offer plenty of tart and tangy citrus, tangy ripe dark fruits, earth, wood, sugar, bread, vegetative grass, floralness, some tart sour lemon, light stewed fruit, and small touches of smoke, vinegar and acidity. The dark fired Kentucky produces some earth, wood, floralness, spice, sweetness, vegetation, mild sourness, herbs, smoke along with some barbecue and light nuttiness. It’s a couple of notches above the condiment line in the third slot. The strength and taste levels are in the center of medium to full. The nic-hit is step behind them. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. It does have a few small rough edges though not as much as expected. I attribute that to the sweet casing. The easily broken apart crumble flakes are mildly moist, and need no dry time. Well balanced, nuanced and deeply rich with some zest, it burns cool, clean and a little slow with a mostly consistent sweet and sour, fruity, floral, herbal, spicy, smoky, light nutty, barbecue flavor that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note has a little pungency. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke. Four stars.

Wyomingpiper

Lurker
Aug 1, 2021
Wyoming
Thanks for the review! For sure excited about this one.

Would you say the sweet casing changes the flavor of the tobacco at all? Or, would the average guy like me not even know it's there?

Reactions: JimInks

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The newest Per George Jensen creation, Aberrant in the Signature Series, is due to be released October 14. Here's my review.

The potent Nicotiana Rustica provides a lot of earth, wood, spice, peaty vegetation, floralness, sugar, mild tart and tangy citrus, a little cigar, tea, smoke, leather, incense, and a small sour bitter note. While it is the lead component, it doesn’t dominate the proceedings. The red and bright Virginias are a little more obvious than the stoved as strong supporting players. They offer plenty of tart and tangy citrus, tangy ripe dark fruits, earth, wood, sugar, bread, vegetative grass, floralness, some tart sour lemon, light stewed fruit, and small touches of smoke, vinegar and acidity. The dark fired Kentucky produces some earth, wood, floralness, spice, sweetness, vegetation, mild sourness, herbs, smoke along with some barbecue and light nuttiness. It’s a couple of notches above the condiment line in the third slot. The strength and taste levels are in the center of medium to full. The nic-hit is step behind them. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. It does have a few small rough edges though not as much as expected. I attribute that to the sweet casing. The easily broken apart crumble flakes are mildly moist, and need no dry time. Well balanced, nuanced and deeply rich with some zest, it burns cool, clean and a little slow with a mostly consistent sweet and sour, fruity, floral, herbal, spicy, smoky, light nutty, barbecue flavor that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note has a little pungency. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke. Four stars.
Hi Jim, thanks for your review. I've a question about your nic scale. Is, say, GH Kendal Kentucky, "full" to you or greater than "full"? I ask because I'm a nicotine weenie and rustica kinda scares me. I only smoke blends like Kendal Kentucky, 1792 and Royal Yacht once a year or less and only after a full meal, because I don't like to see the room spinning around me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the review! For sure excited about this one.

Would you say the sweet casing changes the flavor of the tobacco at all? Or, would the average guy like me not even know it's there?
It's very light. I only noticed it because I spent time looking for it. Few rough notes than I expected gave me the biggest clue.

Reactions: Wyomingpiper

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hi Jim, thanks for your review. I've a question about your nic scale. Is, say, GH Kendal Kentucky, "full" to you or greater than "full"? I ask because I'm a nicotine weenie and rustica kinda scares me. I only smoke blends like Kendal Kentucky, 1792 and Royal Yacht once a year or less and only after a full meal, because I don't like to see the room spinning around me.
Kendall Kentucky is full. Looking at what you're smoking, you'll be able to handle the nic-hit on Aberrant, which does not have a full hit of it. The effect of the Rustica is tempered by the other components.