Jim's Seattle Pipe Club Gentleman’s Rum Vanilla Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This rum barrel aged crumble cake is a limited edition and goes on sale this Tuesday the 19th at six p.m. EST.

The aged Brazilian and American Virginias produce some tart and tangy citrus, floralness, vegetative grass, bread, sugar, some sour lemon, and mild darker fruit, earth, wood with a little spice, smoke, acidity, and peat. The floral quality of the Virginias propel them to the lead spot. The creamy, sugary, earthy, woody, bready black cavendish plays just above the level of the burley as it gives full support. The very nutty burley provides some earth, wood, bread and sugar. The tobaccos are barrel aged by the sweet and lightly sour, spicy, fruity rum. The creamy sweet, natural vanilla topping is right behind the rum. The varietals have a mild effect on the proceedings. The strength is a couple of notches short of the center of medium to strong. The nic-hit is a step behind that mark. The taste level just passes the center of medium to full. No chance of bite or harshness. Barely sports a rough note. The easily broken apart crumble cake is a tad more than moderately moist. Though I did not dry it for this review, it may benefit from a very light dry time depending on your personal preference. Well balanced, it burns cool, clean and slow with a very consistent tangy, fruity and sugary, creamy sweet, floral, mildly nutty, sour, spicy, lightly smokey, deeply rich, zesty flavor that extends to the pleasantly lasting after taste. The room note is pleasantly obvious. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Three stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2024.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I forgot to place my order for this at 6:00 p.m.—I remembered that I should around 5:30, but got caught up in working on some artwork and lost track of time. Next thing I knew, it was time to eat, then load up the car. I remembered that I forgot to order while we were on the road and was worried it might have sold out, but thought I might luck out since a lot of people balked at the price of the last limited edition. Fortunately, I was still able to get an order in at 10:48 p.m.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I forgot to place my order for this at 6:00 p.m.—I remembered that I should around 5:30, but got caught up in working on some artwork and lost track of time. Next thing I knew, it was time to eat, then load up the car. I remembered that I forgot to order while we were on the road and was worried it might have sold out, but thought I might luck out since a lot of people balked at the price of the last limited edition. Fortunately, I was still able to get an order in at 10:48 p.m.
I balked at this one as well... good review though.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ya, at $10 an ounce I can't afford my Pule cheese 🐴 🐐 🧀 But I hear people are eating less cheese and paying more for the premium stuff, at least that's what I keep hearing. So, I guess that makes it ok...🙄
cheese is different. Sometimes the premium stuff goes further, not always but often times. Often they have either a more complex or intense flavor and as far as improving the flavor of foods it takes a lot less.

Reactions: kcghost

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’m smoking my first bowl, and I’m generally impressed. I have no clue if it’s the Virginias or the burley, but there is a pleasant spiciness in the back of throat. The tobacco flavor is prominent, and the vanilla topping (while liberally applied) compliments the tobacco flavor and doesn’t cover it up. The rum is much more subtle to my palate, which I catch only on the retrohale. It’s definitely not boozy. The only complaint I have is about a tannic astringent quality that’s irritating, but hopefully that’s just this particular pipe or maybe my body chemistry today (I have to admit I had a big night on the town with friends last night). In any event, this is not a hot air aromatic. The tobacco and toppings are both rich and satisfying.