PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
The lead component is the very nutty, earthy, woody, lightly sugary burleys. The Virginia cavendish chips in with a little grass, tart citrus, light sugar and a few drops of honey in the background. The bourbon and cocoa toppings mildly tone down the tobaccos, and have a lightly distracting chemical note. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are mild. There is an inconsistency in the flavor because the topping will flash off a bit by the last quarter of the experience, and you may get a mild harshness and a few cigarette notes if you are a fast puffer. Won’t bite, and has a few small rough edges. Doesn't need to be relit much, packs very easily, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Easily an all day smoke. One of the few tobaccos I have smoked that m'lady commented favorably on when she smelled it. I give it two and half stars because of aforementioned drawbacks.

UPDATE 6-28-2022. There are some changes in the new Dominican Republic production. The mildly applied bourbon is more dominant now, and the now weaker chocolate less so. Both are less sweet, and sport a very slight sourness not present in the American version. The toppings tone down the tobaccos approximately twenty percent more than before at first, but moderately flash off after the half way point. They don’t last as long as before, but you’ll still taste the toppings. The distracting chemical note in the older manufacture is barely obvious. The nuttiness from the burleys is three slots lower than before even when the toppings weaken. The burleys have a little more roughness, and I detect a hint of smoke from them as well. The latter characteristic was not there in the past. The Virginia cavendish mostly has the same effect as always with a touch less sugar and honey, and a lightly deeper citrus. Both varietals are just a little darker in color. The strength and nic-hit are a step and a half past the mild mark. The taste is a half notch more potent due to the smoke note. Won’t bite, and the chances of experiencing light harshness or cigarette notes for a fast puffer are much slimmer. Burns cool, slightly warm, and a tad fast. Overall, it’s not as sweet, less nutty, and even with the rougher burleys, is mildly smoother with a weaker flavor. Has a lightly lingering weaker after taste. The room note is a touch stronger now. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and doesn’t require many relights. An all day smoke. My rating at TR is still two stars though I deduct the extra half star that I gave the original due to the lack of flavor depth.

Glad to hear the chemical note isn't so obvious. It's even more obvious on PA. I got a few pouches of each (I know they've been discontinued) but wanted to buy tubs of the newer Dominican version. Guess I will now, that chemical tinge is the only downfall of the blends.

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Glad to hear the chemical note isn't so obvious. It's even more obvious on PA. I got a few pouches of each (I know they've been discontinued) but wanted to buy tubs of the newer Dominican version. Guess I will now, that chemical tinge is the only downfall of the blends.
The other blend I meant to mention I was comparing to was Carter Hall. PA has a bit more chemical taste but still present in both.

Reactions: f4phantomdriver

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Prince Albert has been my everyday smoke for the last five or six years. I still have a few tubs of the Limerick, Pennsylvania made stuff in my cellar, but I've been really enjoying the Dominican Republic manufactured stuff. To me it's less bitter, and the aroma! Forget about it! I love it. But I always go to Jiminks reviews to see what I'm missing in a particular blend. One of the differences that I taste is in the newer version, I taste more wood, less chocolate but the same cocoa if that makes sense. I don't taste anymore liquorice but a touch of anise. Some molasses but not much, I do get more nuttiness though. I am a huge Middleton fan, I miss all the oldies, Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Apple Pipe Tobacco, Kentucky Club Mild, and the great Cherry Blend. I've done some extensive research on the production of Middleton tobaccos that are being done on the island and I got nothing. What I did learn was that the Dominican Republic does not grow burley tobacco, I mean none. I did see on some sites of the large quantities of burley that gets shipped to the Dominican Republic from the United States. So those of us who were upset that production moved out of the states to a foreign country can rest assured that we are still smoking American grown burley. I think that if they DID decide to grow a burley crop on the island it would be phenomenal. I was a little upset at first because Middleton Tobacco Company is a Pennsylvania local business and I live about 20 minutes from the plant. But, jobs didn't disappear because they are still manufacturing the Black and Mild cigar line as well as the Cherry Blend cigars. Now I believe that they are not steaming, pressing and crimping the burley in the U.S., I think the equipment was shipped to the island. Being that the tobacco does taste a little different, not much, my Spidey senses tell me they are using a different brand of flavorings. What do you think Jim?

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
The other blend I meant to mention I was comparing to was Carter Hall. PA has a bit more chemical taste but still present in both.
When production first moved to DR a friend who was a loyal Carter Hall smoker was going ballistic because the newer stuff he said was horrible. I told him that the Prince Albert was great and it was all in his mind. Sure enough he sent me a huge bag of the CH and said "try it and tell me what you think". Now Carter Hall was my everyday smoke for my first two years of smoking a pipe so I do know what it tastes and smells like. The stuff he sent me was atrocious. It tastes like crap shells and stunk up my house, my wife was livid. Needless to say I threw it out. He bought six tubs at a grocery store and the manager was nice enough to let him exchange the five unopened tubs for five tubs of Prince Albert which is his everyday smoke like me. I was very fortunate enough to have a friend send me a tub of the Pennsylvania made CH after I gifted him a tub of Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. I've been smoking two bowls a day of CH and PA the rest of the time.

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
When production first moved to DR a friend who was a loyal Carter Hall smoker was going ballistic because the newer stuff he said was horrible. I told him that the Prince Albert was great and it was all in his mind. Sure enough he sent me a huge bag of the CH and said "try it and tell me what you think". Now Carter Hall was my everyday smoke for my first two years of smoking a pipe so I do know what it tastes and smells like. The stuff he sent me was atrocious. It tastes like crap shells and stunk up my house, my wife was livid. Needless to say I threw it out. He bought six tubs at a grocery store and the manager was nice enough to let him exchange the five unopened tubs for five tubs of Prince Albert which is his everyday smoke like me. I was very fortunate enough to have a friend send me a tub of the Pennsylvania made CH after I gifted him a tub of Lane Limited Ready Rubbed. I've been smoking two bowls a day of CH and PA the rest of the time.
Yikes. Maybe on second thought I won't buy any of the tubs unless they're made in USA. I'd like to see though but kinda worried now.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Yikes. Maybe on second thought I won't buy any of the tubs unless they're made in USA. I'd like to see though but kinda worried now.
There's still some floating around towhee. Some of the mom and pop general stores and drugstores still have a few USA made tubs. Like I said though, the tobacco is still being grown here for the PA and CH. I'm in no way trying to change your mind on buying a tub. I smoke Lane products too and they are no longer made in Tucker, GA. Scandinavian Tobacco Co is making all of it now in Denmark. That won't stop me from smoking my beloved Captain Black, HGL and LL-7. It is a shame that PA and CH are not available in the box pouches anymore. Most people will not buy a tub just to try a tobacco. I have sent samples to FB group friends of PA and some thanked me from saving them from making a financial mistake. With shipping you'll pay almost 50 bucks for a tub.

Reactions: towhee89

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
There's still some floating around towhee. Some of the mom and pop general stores and drugstores still have a few USA made tubs. Like I said though, the tobacco is still being grown here for the PA and CH. I'm in no way trying to change your mind on buying a tub. I smoke Lane products too and they are no longer made in Tucker, GA. Scandinavian Tobacco Co is making all of it now in Denmark. That won't stop me from smoking my beloved Captain Black, HGL and LL-7. It is a shame that PA and CH are not available in the box pouches anymore. Most people will not buy a tub just to try a tobacco. I have sent samples to FB group friends of PA and some thanked me from saving them from making a financial mistake. With shipping you'll pay almost 50 bucks for a tub.

Thanks. Yeah there's a local store that has the pouches of both still. There's only one more CH but a few PA, I may buy the rest of them. There's a tub for $30 of CH at another store I need to check to see if it's Dominican made or not. I bet Ingles has both too, I have seen some pics shared which looked like an Ingles on the forum.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Prince Albert has been my everyday smoke for the last five or six years. I still have a few tubs of the Limerick, Pennsylvania made stuff in my cellar, but I've been really enjoying the Dominican Republic manufactured stuff. To me it's less bitter, and the aroma! Forget about it! I love it. But I always go to Jiminks reviews to see what I'm missing in a particular blend. One of the differences that I taste is in the newer version, I taste more wood, less chocolate but the same cocoa if that makes sense. I don't taste anymore liquorice but a touch of anise. Some molasses but not much, I do get more nuttiness though. I am a huge Middleton fan, I miss all the oldies, Walnut, Sugar Barrel, Apple Pipe Tobacco, Kentucky Club Mild, and the great Cherry Blend. I've done some extensive research on the production of Middleton tobaccos that are being done on the island and I got nothing. What I did learn was that the Dominican Republic does not grow burley tobacco, I mean none. I did see on some sites of the large quantities of burley that gets shipped to the Dominican Republic from the United States. So those of us who were upset that production moved out of the states to a foreign country can rest assured that we are still smoking American grown burley. I think that if they DID decide to grow a burley crop on the island it would be phenomenal. I was a little upset at first because Middleton Tobacco Company is a Pennsylvania local business and I live about 20 minutes from the plant. But, jobs didn't disappear because they are still manufacturing the Black and Mild cigar line as well as the Cherry Blend cigars. Now I believe that they are not steaming, pressing and crimping the burley in the U.S., I think the equipment was shipped to the island. Being that the tobacco does taste a little different, not much, my Spidey senses tell me they are using a different brand of flavorings. What do you think Jim?
There's no question in my mind that the flavorings are different as I noted in my update.

Reactions: Puffer of Pipes

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Not identical, but still worth a try, especially since you can grab an ounce for under $3. Basically it's PA for people who want PA without as much additive to the tobacco. Estate Blend (a.k.a. Match Carter Hall or Chatham Manor) is also worth trying.
If you're looking for OTC type blends in bulk, also check out Sutliff Match [Edgeworth] Ready Rubbed and Lane BL/WB. Match Walnut is like a codger but contains a bit of latakia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It will be interesting to see how the new version is marketed and distributed. The old version seemed to become more and more scarce until it was downright hard to get.

The only intriguing aspect of the newer version sounds to be the reduction in cocoa or chocolate flavor, which seemed overbearing in the older version, although I guess it gave a good room note. I often like bourbon flavoring but never noticed it in PA.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
If you're looking for OTC type blends in bulk, also check out Sutliff Match [Edgeworth] Ready Rubbed and Lane BL/WB. Match Walnut is like a codger but contains a bit of latakia.
The only codger style blend I've been able to enjoy is the Sutliff Ready Rubbed match. It's cut into little cubes and it's not bad at all. It seems to have some kind of a cocoa essence to me, but I'm not nearly as sophisticated as the rest of you. :)

I like the fact that it hardly ever needs a relight, so if I'm in the workshop or just want to do other things while the pipe comes along, I don't need to worry about it.

Reactions: Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
The only codger style blend I've been able to enjoy is the Sutliff Ready Rubbed match. It's cut into little cubes and it's not bad at all. It seems to have some kind of a cocoa essence to me, but I'm not nearly as sophisticated as the rest of you. :)

I like the fact that it hardly ever needs a relight, so if I'm in the workshop or just want to do other things while the pipe comes along, I don't need to worry about it.

I do get a little cocoa from CH and PA (old and new), though it's more noticeable if smoked slowly. BL/WB is also chocolatey. Match RR is good stuff. Old Joe Krantz Blue is next on my list to try (I think that one isn't cased).
And yeah, there's something satisfying about smoking near to the bottom of the bowl on only one or two lights. Another reason I like CH so much, since I don't have to fuss with it while doing other things.

Reactions: Mrs. Pickles

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
It will be interesting to see how the new version is marketed and distributed. The old version seemed to become more and more scarce until it was downright hard to get.

The only intriguing aspect of the newer version sounds to be the reduction in cocoa or chocolate flavor, which seemed overbearing in the older version, although I guess it gave a good room note. I often like bourbon flavoring but never noticed it in PA.
Hello Sir, my Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic buddy. The room note of the Dominican Republic Prince Albert is still good. It smells like the classic "pipey" aroma , not in a Captain Black sense, but in a "aw wow, someone's smoking a pipe!" way. It's kind of neat that my sons say that when they smell Prince Albert by walking into the living room or when my oldest son goes in my car, they think of me, as does my wife. One of Middleton's blends I really miss is Walnut. A friend sent me a generous sample of Chestnut and it was really good. But it's missing something. Walnut had a sweeter aroma, I don't know if it's the molasses or Rum that is missing?

Reactions: towhee89

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
How do you folks think the Duke Albert match from Sutliff compares?
I bought an oz of Duke Albert a month ago, tried a bowl, didn't think much of it, popped it in a jar and moved on. Packed a bowl two days ago and found it ridiculously smooth, nutty, sweet, cocoa-y, totally enjoyable. Again yesterday. Today's Ready Rubbed Match didn't taste nearly as good. I think I'm falling in love with Duke Albert.