PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
However, if Greg Pease were to change one of his blends without some sort of public address about it, I think his fans revolt. puffy
C&D isn't sourcing all their tobaccos from the same places as they were when they first started producing GLP blends, so either his fans don't actually have the discerning refined palate they think they do, or they're doing a pretty good job of blend correction to maintain quality control. I'd wager it's a little of both.

C&D isn't sourcing all their tobaccos from the same places as they were when they first started producing GLP blends, so either his fans don't actually have the discerning refined palate they think they do, or they're doing a pretty good job of blend correction to maintain quality control. I'd wager it's a little of both.
All blends are subject to the changes in tastes to crops, from year to year. This is why they all need blenders, people who can adjust the casings to keep blends. And, Greg is one of the best.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The blurb on a certain website says, "Escudo Navy Deluxe is the gold standard of Virginia/Perique blends and has been for more than 140 years." Which sounds, to those not in the know, as though it hasn’t changed. Not that it actually says that it hasn’t changed. It just sounds that way.
Is that currently on the "Gold Standard" list? I'd gotten it removed years ago after trying out the STG version.

• Haha
Reactions: BriarsAndBottles

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Is there a set of standards of what makes a blend unchangeable? Not sure. That's above my forum paygrade
Nope. There's nothing new in this. Gallaher altered Balkan Sobranie several times after taking over production from Sobranie Ltd. Three Nuns went through changes, including the creation of a DFK version in place of the Perique version. Companies are buying the name. They can put whatever they want in the tin.

Nope. There's nothing new in this. Gallaher altered Balkan Sobranie several times after taking over production from Sobranie Ltd. Three Nuns went through changes, including the creation of a DFK version in place of the Perique version. Companies are buying the name. They can put whatever they want in the tin.
I was thinking that he was asking me what the standards for a blend should be, before production should stop if it changes. Like, what would make a blend too historical to continue as a different blend.

I've wondered what Bell's Three Nuns tasted like in the 1890's when it was first formulated, or Capstan, or any of the blends that are thought of legendary. Would we even recognize them? And if we did, would we prefer them?
Or whether these blends started off with casings at all. Did they start adding casings as people snubbed them for crop changes? Did newer blends of more recent history start adding casings, because the tobacconists thought that they had to, because blends of the past had started adding casings because of crop changes?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Or whether these blends started off with casings at all. Did they start adding casings as people snubbed them for crop changes? Did newer blends of more recent history start adding casings, because the tobacconists thought that they had to, because blends of the past had started adding casings because of crop changes?
There's nothing new about adding flavorings to tobaccos, whether in casings, toppings, or both. The topping on the late '30's Capstan that I smoked certainly resembled the topping on later versions, including the current MacBaren product.
On the flip side, I read that the flavor of Royal Yacht came from its fermenting process, rather than a topping that attempts to mimic a fermented flavor. People used to refer to the "glorious stink" of Dunhill's well fermented tobaccos, something that is no longer the case.
The truth, if it is to be found, is probably a mixture of many factors and solutions.

Wyomingpiper

Lurker
Aug 1, 2021
Wyoming
Makes one wonder if a classic blend was repackaged with a different name and new tin what attention it would get? Would the reviews be the same?
I doubt I would notice, because I'd probably think it was my taste changing and I'd either like it more or less than before.
And another factor, is a lot of people put it in the cellar and don't try it for quite some time.

I saw a mystery blend episode on smoking pipes, and nobody could guess it, and it turned out to be orlic golden sliced. If supposed experts have trouble guessing, I suppose we're not as infallible as we think.

I do notice that if I smoke mostly latakia blends or peated scotch, my scenes dull and a lot of the smoke flavor gets very muted.
I think it's important to have enough variety that my tastes stay fresh.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I can't honestly think of one blend that changed for the better--Balkan Sobranie and Three Nuns are prime examples, along with Dunhill (now Peterson's) My Mixture 965 and Nightcap after Murray's closed shop and the list goes on and on.

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I doubt I would notice, because I'd probably think it was my taste changing and I'd either like it more or less than before.
And another factor, is a lot of people put it in the cellar and don't try it for quite some time.

I saw a mystery blend episode on smoking pipes, and nobody could guess it, and it turned out to be orlic golden sliced. If supposed experts have trouble guessing, I suppose we're not as infallible as we think.

I do notice that if I smoke mostly latakia blends or peated scotch, my scenes dull and a lot of the smoke flavor gets very muted.
I think it's important to have enough variety that my tastes stay fresh.
Smoking scotch would definitely mess up anyone’s taste buds I reckon! Variety is the spice of life though I agree