Jim's Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired Plug Cut Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This plug is obviously much like the flake and ready rubbed versions, but there are a few differences, which I will note. The main component is the earthy, woody, floral, spicy, fairly dry, mildly tart and more tangy sour, nutty dark fired Kentucky. The earthy, woody, tangy dark fruity, mildly citrus sweet Virginias, and earthy, woody, nutty sweet burleys are secondary stars. The natural sweetness of the varietals are enhanced, and the taste is a little more well rounded with fewer rough edges than the earlier productions by how this is processed; a typical characteristic of plug versions. It is just a little less strong than the other offerings as it crosses over the medium mark by a couple of steps. The taste level is a rung more potent than that, and is nearly equal to the earlier manufactures mainly because the vinegar and McClellandesque barbecue are a little hardier here, though they very mildly weaken after the half way mark. The nic-hit is a touch weaker, and barely reaches the medium threshold. You will notice every aspect of the well balanced, harmonious complexity of its very consistently sweet and savory full bodied flavor in virtually every puff. Won’t bite. The plug has some density and moisture, but is fairly easy to break apart to suit your personal preparation preference. I did not feel the need to dry it, but some smokers may feel differently. Burns cool, clean, and slow. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs a fair number of relights. Has a pleasant, lingering campfire after taste and stronger room note. Unlike its predecessors, this could possibly be an all day smoke for the very experienced veteran. Four stars out of four.

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks for the review, Jim! I like the accidental emoji, hahaha.

The fact that you are able to break the plug apart makes me think this is more of a dense cake rather than a plug like 3Ps, which I imagined.

One of my tins showed up unsealed. It's a plug for sure. Definitely would not call this a cake. Much like Dan Salty Dogs, density wise. 10 year old me could probably kill a duck with it.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Thanks for the review, Jim! I like the accidental emoji, hahaha.

One of my tins showed up unsealed. It's a plug for sure. Definitely would not call this a cake. Much like Dan Salty Dogs, density wise. 10 year old me could probably kill a duck with it.
Thanks for this. So it's more like I suspected, a piece of plug prior to being cut into the typical ODF flakes, correct? Have you had any yet?

Reactions: lightmybriar

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I bought a few tins for a very dear friend and myself to sample. Looking forward to opening a tin!...

glfjunke2

Lurker
Jun 16, 2015
This plug is obviously much like the flake and ready rubbed versions, but there are a few differences, which I will note. The main component is the earthy, woody, floral, spicy, fairly dry, mildly tart and more tangy sour, nutty dark fired Kentucky. The earthy, woody, tangy dark fruity, mildly citrus sweet Virginias, and earthy, woody, nutty sweet burleys are secondary stars. The natural sweetness of the varietals are enhanced, and the taste is a little more well rounded with fewer rough edges than the earlier productions by how this is processed; a typical characteristic of plug versions. It is just a little less strong than the other offerings as it crosses over the medium mark by a couple of steps. The taste level is a rung more potent than that, and is nearly equal to the earlier manufactures mainly because the vinegar and McClellandesque barbecue are a little hardier here, though they very mildly weaken after the half way mark. The nic-hit is a touch weaker, and barely reaches the medium threshold. You will notice every aspect of the well balanced, harmonious complexity of its very consistently sweet and savory full bodied flavor in virtually every puff. Won’t bite. The plug has some density and moisture, but is fairly easy to break apart to suit your personal preparation preference. I did not feel the need to dry it, but some smokers may feel differently. Burns cool, clean, and slow. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs a fair number of relights. Has a pleasant, lingering campfire after taste and stronger room note. Unlike its predecessors, this could possibly be an all day smoke for the very experienced veteran. Four stars out of four.
Just received my tin and really ? forward to ignite it . Enjoy your reviews.?

Reactions: JimInks

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Excellent review. I slice the plug thin and rub out to a shag, which produces a rich and creamy smoke.

I have smoked the flake many times as well as the ready rubbed, but this is my favorite incarnation.

Reactions: JimInks
Status
Not open for further replies.