PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have now smoked 2 bowls of the Dunhill Dark flake and so far it is an ok blend. It tastes nothing like my beloved Deluxe Navy Rolls. It doesn't have the sweetness or the stewed fruit flavors that DNR has. It is kind of boring to me and as everyone knows, I love a good flake. I am hoping that maybe it needs to settle for a few months or I need to find the right pipe. I am hoping it gets better or maybe it just needs a few years of age.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Cigrmaster have you tried Ye Olde Signe? It's not a flake but a damn good stout Virginia.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
perdurabo, thanks for the recommendation. I have not tried that blend as I am not a fan of ribbon cuts. I have so much tobacco that I am not looking to add anything unless it is some kind of special flake or plug. For example I really like Peter Heinrichs Curly Block which is a rope, but I am only going to add a few to the cellar. The only flake I cellared deep recently is Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved, That is a special blend to my tastes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I really like the Dunhill Dark Flake but then again, I really like medium to strong VA flakes. It certainly isn't the best VA flake I smoke but well worth having some around. I've purchased 10 tins in case Dunhill does close and may buy a few more. But this isn't buy 100 tins to cellar tobacco IMHO.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Have any of the folks that stored a tin for > than a year had the chance pop the can to see how this stuff will age? I too have enough to last so anything I buy these days to cellar have to be "must have" status.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Just picked up 8 tins online, they are dated to 2016 so once I get to trying it I will chime in. I figure if I don't like it I won't have trouble trading it off down the road.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Just picked up 8 tins online, they are dated to 2016 so once I get to trying it I will chime in. I figure if I don't like it I won't have trouble trading it off down the road.
Seems like they have been out every time I have looked. I have 5 tins but would like to add 5 more and be done with it.
I do like DNR and have stashed all I can for now. However, having some more dark flake would be nice too in the cellar!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Great review! This is solidly in my top 5. I love the deep, rich flavor. I don't like super strong Periques that taste like you just ate a spoonful of black pepper, so this one perfectly fits the bill for me. If any of you decide to trade yours off...

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Dark Flake is the only dunhill tin that has been sold out for quite some time in the US but avaiable everywhere in the EU. Maybe they had a shortage of that particular leaf. I prefer the regular dunhill flake or Navy rolls and find the dark flake a little subdued by comparison.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Nice review! I wonder if it smokes less wet after the tin has been open several days...

Status
Not open for further replies.