Jim's Drucquer & Sons King's Fool Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale November 28 around 10 a.m. EST.

The year 2019 flue cured bright Virginia produces plenty of tart and tangy, citrus, bread, grass, some sugar, floralness, spice, sour lemon, light vegetation, and a touch of acidity. It takes a very small lead most of the time. The tangy dark fruity, earthy, woody, mildly sugary, vegetative, lightly floral, spicy, slightly vinegary 2017 red Virginias almost play a full support role. The spicy, earthy, dried plummy, floral, figgy, mildly sour St. James perique offers plenty of support as it is a step behind the red Virginias. The smoky, earthy, woody, floral, herbal, vegetative, leathery, mildly sweet and spicy, lightly sour Turkish Latakia trades positions with the perique here and there. The creamy sweet, earthy, woody, slightly nutty burley black cavendish is just above the condiment line. The 2014 white burley provides light, sweet nuttiness, earth, wood, dry sharpness, and slight sourness is a condiment. The strength and nic-hit are half way between medium and the center of medium to full. The taste level is a notch short of that center. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough edges. The broken flakes are mildly moist, and as is my custom, I did not dry them for this review, nor did I see a need for it. Complex and nuanced, it burns cool, clean and slow with a little inconsistency in the fruity, spicy, mildly sour, floral, smoky, herbal, slightly nutty, rather savory, rich flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few more than an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Three and a half stars rounded up to four.
©Jim Amash 2023.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Thank you for the review.
I have been very impressed with their Loch Ness and have been intending to get some of their other blends.
This blend sounds like something right up my alley. I'll definitely give it a try.

Reactions: JimInks and seanv

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX

The year 2019 flue cured bright Virginia produces plenty of tart and tangy, citrus, bread, grass, some sugar, floralness, spice, sour lemon, light vegetation, and a touch of acidity. It takes a very small lead most of the time. The tangy dark fruity, earthy, woody, mildly sugary, vegetative, lightly floral, spicy, slightly vinegary 2017 red Virginias almost play a full support role. The spicy, earthy, dried plummy, floral, figgy, mildly sour St. James perique offers plenty of support as it is a step behind the red Virginias. The smoky, earthy, woody, floral, herbal, vegetative, leathery, mildly sweet and spicy, lightly sour Turkish Latakia trades positions with the perique here and there. The creamy sweet, earthy, woody, slightly nutty burley black cavendish is just above the condiment line. The 2014 white burley provides light, sweet nuttiness, earth, wood, dry sharpness, and slight sourness is a condiment. The strength and nic-hit are half way between medium and the center of medium to full. The taste level is a notch short of that center. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough edges. The broken flakes are mildly moist, and as is my custom, I did not dry them for this review, nor did I see a need for it. Complex and nuanced, it burns cool, clean and slow with a little inconsistency in the fruity, spicy, mildly sour, floral, smoky, herbal, slightly nutty, rather savory, rich flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few more than an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Three and a half stars rounded up to four.
©Jim Amash 2023.
#paragraphs.

Reactions: JimInks

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023

©Jim Amash 2023.
Thanks for the review, detailed as always. I will avoid this kitchen sink.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
How would you say it compares to Merry Monk? So far, that's the only D&S blend I have tried. I have Loch Ness as well, but haven't tried it yet.

Kind of a side-by-side quick difference, like which is smoother, is one sweeter than the other, etc.

Like, a simplified, quick and dirty breakdown for me of Merry Monk, just the main dominant overall flavor is that it's spicy and mildly sweet in the way hot honey is, not creamy or rough, spicy in the mulling spices type range (nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, coriander, etc). Like mulled and stewed fruit with floral touches, moderately bold on flavor. Or another way of putting it, spicy and sweet dominant supported by floral undertones.

So more or less sweet, spicy, milder, fruitier, etc compared to Merry Monk?

Last edited: