PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale August 2.

The 2019 Basma and 2018 Izmir provide a wealth of earth, wood, floralness, dry, sharp sourness, vegetation, spice, herbs, some buttery sweetness, mild cocoa, and smoke as the lead components. The 2014 white burley offers plenty of earth, wood, nuts, bread, some dry, sour sharpness, and light cocoa. It offers secondary support rather than full. The Canadian bright Virginias produce some tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, sour lemon, floralness, light vegetation and acidity. They are a couple of steps above the condiment line. The rum casing is a tad more obvious than the molasses, and both are rather elusive. The strength is a notch below the center of medium to strong. The taste is in that center. The nic-hit is a level less than the overall strength. No chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough edges. The easily broken apart crumble cakes are mildly moist and needs no dry time. Burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a consistent sour and moderately sweet, rather floral, spicy, nutty, zesty flavor that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Three and a half stars.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Thank you for your consistent and carefully measured reviews. Your approach is a great help in understanding where this differs from the other recent releases featuring (presumably) the same lots of Izmir and Basma.

It sounds like the difference between this release, Sunbear, and Geometrie is like the difference between a cinnamon bun, a cardamom bun, and a butter croissant.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for your consistent and carefully measured reviews. Your approach is a great help in understanding where this differs from the other recent releases featuring (presumably) the same lots of Izmir and Basma.

It sounds like the difference between this release, Sunbear, and Geometrie is like the difference between a cinnamon bun, a cardamom bun, and a butter croissant.
Not a bad correlation.

Thank you for the very kind words. I'm pleased the reviews are helpful to you.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Thank you for the review! It’s much appreciated and they’re always so helpful in making a decision.

This sounds like it might be in the same vein as Eight State Burley, which is one of my favorites. I like the sound of rum and molasses as well.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Normally with these type of limited releases, I only buy a single tin, but I haven't bought too many limited things before. This time I pulled the trigger and ordered two tins based on what I read here

The more I keep reading about it from others, the more I am glad I ordered two. This sounds right up my alley.

Is the Virginia more subtle than the burley, even if by just a notch or two? The vibes I am getting from what I read is that it's a little more burley and oriental forward, and I'm all about it if that's the case. I'm excited, this might be the next blend I open.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
Sounds interesting.. I haven't tried any of the warped blends, and have heard mixed reviews, but was recently able to try some of the Mountain Flower Sun Bear. I have been really loving that blend, and understand the hype surrounding it, now I wonder how this will compare on a hot summer day.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
If the idea of mid-summer was a tin note of county fair show ring, then I'd say they've pulled it off!

I'll let this sit a bit before trying, but I might conveniently forget to try it, lol, not grabbing me by the senses upon opening. :)