PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Great reviews. Its no use to me in the eu but I might play with some dfk in some lat blends. I think its in zulu. I may add it to some others and see what happens. It didnt cross my mind. What little c&d you can find here should be called c$d.

Last edited:

Chickenpicker

Lurker
Feb 21, 2024
Massachusetts
Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed reading about all 3 and the differences between them.

I’m a pretty new pipe smoker and having read the basic description of them, I was intrigued to try one of the 3. I bought a tin of “Allegro” and just absolutely love it so far! I’ve smoked probably 7 or 8 bowls of it so far while trying out other different blends in between, and I’m finding that it is by far my favorite tobacco so far.

Again, as I mentioned, I’m curious to try out the other two maestro blends, and before doing so it was great to read your breakdown of the three to get an idea of how they differ and are similar. Thanks again for your review!

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed reading about all 3 and the differences between them.

I’m a pretty new pipe smoker and having read the basic description of them, I was intrigued to try one of the 3. I bought a tin of “Allegro” and just absolutely love it so far! I’ve smoked probably 7 or 8 bowls of it so far while trying out other different blends in between, and I’m finding that it is by far my favorite tobacco so far.

Again, as I mentioned, I’m curious to try out the other two maestro blends, and before doing so it was great to read your breakdown of the three to get an idea of how they differ and are similar. Thanks again for your review!
You're very welcome. I'm very pleased my reviews were of help to you.

Reactions: Chickenpicker

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Wow! That’s awesome!
I carried an empty backpack around the whole trip, (we just took carry-on) just so I could get my maximum allowed quantity, (and maybe a bit more) in before heading back home and without it all being crushed! I made sure, for the most part - that it was nothing I could get in Canada. The Toscano Classicos I can get and the other smaller Toscanos from SP, but that was it. The 200g of pipe tobacco is only available in Europe. I just wish I had brought some more grappa back - that Nardini 3 on the right is amazing!

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
That looks wonderful. Is it possible to get this in the US?
I'm in Canada - but I've never seen it on any US sites and have never heard of anyone in North America having it, unless they brought it back from Italy. But technically, if you just bought some Toscanos and crushed them up, you'd get pretty close. It's a strong one!

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
You're very welcome. I'm very pleased my reviews were of help to you.
From me as well Jim. When I go on Tobaccoreviews, your reviews are the first ones I hunt out. So thorough and very helpful. I've discovered a few tobaccos because of you! You've really contributed something to the pipe community! Thank you once again!

Christos D. Tsatsaronis

Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
No I haven’t even heard of it before. Thanks for the tip- where did you buy it?
A very good man (and Forum member) has mentioned them months ago, he promised to try bringing me some in the near future and I am grateful for that.
C&D came late, I chop and rub Toscanelos (half sized Toscano cigars) and mix them with pipe tobacco well before them!
Great reviews Jim, thank you for all your efforts and offering to the community!

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
As much as I love Toscano smoked as a cigar, I am so nauseated when smoked in a pipe. Even in small quantities it ruins any mixture for me.
I don't even try to taste these Sansepolcros, I already know they're not for me.

@sparker69 well done, they advised you well, you really got a bit of everything. All that's missing is excellence, truly top cigars, but everything else is there, even top-notch stuff.

Remember that "Nostrano del Brenta" are not Toscano, they are cigars made with tobacco coming from a Caribbean seed and grown in northern Italy, I believe since 1700.
I don't like them very much because they are light, but it could be interesting to use them for some pipe blends.

I can't comment on pipe tobacco (Comune and Forte), I've never smoked them because many people speak badly of them, but they have their admirers; above all I see that they are used to correct (give strength) some pipe tobacco blends.

The "Cimette Tornabuoni" are literally adored by many pipe smokers in Italy; It's a mystery to me how you can smoke that stuff (lol)

Last edited:

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
As much as I love Toscano smoked as a cigar, I am so nauseated when smoked in a pipe. Even in small quantities it ruins any mixture for me.
I don't even try to taste these Sansepolcros, I already know they're not for me.

@sparker69 well done, they advised you well, you really got a bit of everything. All that's missing is excellence, truly top cigars, but everything else is there, even top-notch stuff.

Remember that "Nostrano del Brenta" are not Toscano, they are cigars made with tobacco coming from a Caribbean seed and grown in northern Italy, I believe since 1700.
I don't like them very much because they are light, but it could be interesting to use them for some pipe blends.

I can't comment on pipe tobacco (Comune and Forte), I've never smoked them because many people speak badly of them, but they have their admirers; above all I see that they are used to correct (give strength) some pipe tobacco blends.

The "Cimette Tornabuoni" are literally adored by many pipe smokers in Italy; It's a mystery to me how you can smoke that stuff (lol)
Yes - they told me about the Nostranos when I bought them in Rome. I was curious to give them a try even though they're not Toscanos. The only one I couldn't find that I wanted to try were the Manfredi. Maybe next visit.
The Cimette - quite strong! The Comune and Forte - I think in the right moment they can be a good smoke.
The one pipe tobacco that I see a lot of Italians smoking in different facebook groups is Scaferlati Caporal.
I could've used a bottle of Nannoni per il sigaro toscano, but unfortunately, I only had carry-on luggage and couldn't bring a bottle back. :cry:

Reactions: Uguccione