Jim's C&D Steamworks (Small Batch) Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I grabbed two tins myself. I also ordered $100 worth of other tobaccos with it in one big TAD. If I wasn't in a blend expansion phase, I might have grabbed the max, but I also don't want to end up with extra tins and trying to sell/trade later if I don't like it enough to go through 5.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I had3 in my cart, went to the check out and BOOM -2 inventory... So have to wait for another place to offer some - oh well. That's the way it goes sometimes
Wow, this stuff went way quick. Midsommar is still available on SP. I don't know the production numbers of each or how many SP got of either, but just seeing that one that's also limited as still available when it came out first and this one already gone. Woof.

Now I am glad I got in on the first day. When the latest Sun Bear dropped, the site was crashing within the first few hours of release due to volume. I didn't want to deal with that this time, so I was just going to wait until today because I remembered Sun Bear was still available the next day or two after releasing. But I went ahead and did it yesterday because the site seemed stable.

Condolences.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Wow, this stuff went way quick. Midsommar is still available on SP. I don't know the production numbers of each or how many SP got of either, but just seeing that one that's also limited as still available when it came out first and this one already gone. Woof.

Now I am glad I got in on the first day. When the latest Sun Bear dropped, the site was crashing within the first few hours of release due to volume. I didn't want to deal with that this time, so I was just going to wait until today because I remembered Sun Bear was still available the next day or two after releasing. But I went ahead and did it yesterday because the site seemed stable.

Condolences.

I always use TobaccoPipes for limited releases when I want to buy without worrying about site crashing or network issues. I use SP for everything else.

Plus, if there is one you really want, TobaccoPipes has no limit on how much you can order.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
This blend goes on sale August 22 at 6 p.m. EST.

The exceptionally tangy vintage sun cured Orientals include year 2005 Black Sea Sokhoum and provide an abundance of earth, wood, floralness, vegetation, herbs, some spice, leather, dry sourness, mild buttery, creamy sweetness, smoke, cigar, and a little nuttiness as the lead components. The spicy St. James perique offers plenty of earth, wood, dried plums, some raisin, figs, and a little floralness as a strong supporting player. The old belt (North Carolina and Georgia) orange, mahogany, bright, and six grades of red Virginias (with 17.72% sugar) are steamed to various degrees as secondary supporters. They produce a fair amount of tart and tangy citrus, sugar, bread, earth, wood, grass, tangy ripe dark fruit, mild vegetation, floralness, light spice, and touches of acidic vinegar. The red Virginias lightly lead the other Virginias. The strength and taste are fulsome. The nicotine is almost as potent. No chance of bite or harshness. Rough edges are very minimal. This broken flake mixture is a tad more than mildly moist, but as is my custom, I did not dry them. Your mileage may vary on this point. Well balanced, deeply rich and piquantly zesty, it burns cool, clean and a little slow with a consistent spicy, floral, herbal, creamy sweet and dryly sour, fruity, smoky, mildly cigarish, nutty, very tangy flavor that extends to the pleasantly long lingering after taste. The room note is pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. It’s not an all day smoke, and I recommend a small to medium bowl for this hearty blend. Four stars.
Odd question: The steaming process sounds incredibly unique, but if you smoked several different blends in quick succession, could you pick this one from the line-up?

Reactions: JimInks