PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
The tart and tangy citrusy, earthy, woody, toasty, floral and incense-like, herbal, spicy, mildly grassy, vegetative, sour, smoky cigar-ish, slightly clove-like Indonesian Kasturi is the lead component. The five distinct flue cured Virginias provide plenty of tart and tangy citrus, grass, wood, earth, bread, sugar, floralness, vegetation, some tangy dark fruit, sour lemon, and light spice as supporting players. The spicy Saint James perique offers earth, wood, stewed plums, figs and raisins. Its effect is a notch below the aspects of the earthy, woody, nutty, toasty, mildly smoky, floral, dryly sour, barbecue sweet Kentucky. The light barbecue note is in the background. The Kentucky and perique are a rung or two above the condiment line. The creamy, sugary black cavendish adds a bit of sweetness as it tames some of the rough edges. So does a very lightly applied fruit-like essence. The strength is medium. The taste is a step past that mark. The nic-hit is a point below medium. There is no chance of bite or harshness. This crumble kake easily breaks apart. Doesn’t need much dry time, Well balanced with nuanced complexity, it burns cool, clean and a bit slow with a consistent, deeply rich, tart and tangy fruity, floral, herbal, spicy, mildly savory, sour, smoky, creamy flavor. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Has a mildly lingering pleasant after taste, and stronger room note. It’s really not an all day smoke, but is more repeatable than one would expect. Four stars.
Jim in KS is probably the finest reviewer of tobacco on Earth. I've used his reviews for selections for years now. Sometimes I can't figure out what a mysterious element is, hidden in the notes, and Jim always finds it correctly.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim in KS is probably the finest reviewer of tobacco on Earth. I've used his reviews for selections for years now. Sometimes I can't figure out what a mysterious element is, hidden in the notes, and Jim always finds it correctly.
Thanks for the kind words, but let me correct you on my screen name. It's "Jim Inks" as one word: JimInks. When I joined this forum, for some reason I was not able to capitalize the "J" and "I". Wish there was a way to change it.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I finally received my Folklore tobacco today. I don’t claim to be a pipe tobacco aficionado; everyone picks up different things when they smoke tobacco. So, here is my input based on my first bowl this afternoon.

Wonderful “tin” note of stone fruit, bready and allspice. Moisture out of the “tin” is perfect with minimal drying time. After I cut and broke it down into a flake, I only let it dry for about 15 minutes- Easy to prepare.

I packed it loosely into the bowl. After a Char lite and lite tamping, it needs a good thorough lighting across the top of the tobacco. Behaves well in the bowl and burns steadily with the occasional lite tamp. Only needed one relite. Tobacco smokes evenly and cool.

The first half of the bowl was subtly sweet with hay notes, stone fruit with bread and allspice and cinnamon; wonderful smooth rich smoke. Not sure how much perique is in this blend, but it works well with just enough spice that complements the stone fruit and allspice notes. I could swear I picked up a subtle vanilla like flavor with the sweet bread notes a couple of times. Every once in a while you get a raisin flavor that comes and goes with the bread and spice; there is a underlying smoky, woodsy flavor present too.

I decided to dump the ash and even out the tobacco and relite half way thru.

This is a sip slowly, Contemplative smoke.

Second half of the bowl leans more towards smoky and roasted walnuts with very subtle Perique spice. The cinnamon and allspice flavor lingers and works well with the smoky spiciness. Although the subtle sweetness fades in the second half of the bowl, the tobacco is exceptionally smooth and flavorful.

I Also picked up some “smokehouse” notes with the spice notes.
Even on retrohale it is smooth. Nice enjoyable tobacco flavor.
I would give it a medium on nicotine.

Well rounded smoke with lots of flavors to enjoy. Of course, since it came in a 1 pound brick, I broke it down into 2 and 3 ounce plugs and put them away in Mason jars for some aging. I’m excited to see how this does with a little bit of time. Great job by Cornell and Diehl!

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I finally received my Folklore tobacco today. I don’t claim to be a pipe tobacco aficionado; everyone picks up different things when they smoke tobacco. So, here is my input based on my first bowl this afternoon.

Wonderful “tin” note of stone fruit, bready and allspice. Moisture out of the “tin” is perfect with minimal drying time. After I cut and broke it down into a flake, I only let it dry for about 15 minutes- Easy to prepare.

I packed it loosely into the bowl. After a Char lite and lite tamping, it needs a good thorough lighting across the top of the tobacco. Behaves well in the bowl and burns steadily with the occasional lite tamp. Only needed one relite. Tobacco smokes evenly and cool.

The first half of the bowl was subtly sweet with hay notes, stone fruit with bread and allspice and cinnamon; wonderful smooth rich smoke. Not sure how much perique is in this blend, but it works well with just enough spice that complements the stone fruit and allspice notes. I could swear I picked up a subtle vanilla like flavor with the sweet bread notes a couple of times. Every once in a while you get a raisin flavor that comes and goes with the bread and spice; there is a underlying smoky, woodsy flavor present too.

I decided to dump the ash and even out the tobacco and relite half way thru.

This is a sip slowly, Contemplative smoke.

Second half of the bowl leans more towards smoky and roasted walnuts with very subtle Perique spice. The cinnamon and allspice flavor lingers and works well with the smoky spiciness. Although the subtle sweetness fades in the second half of the bowl, the tobacco is exceptionally smooth and flavorful.

I Also picked up some “smokehouse” notes with the spice notes.
Even on retrohale it is smooth. Nice enjoyable tobacco flavor.
I would give it a medium on nicotine.

Well rounded smoke with lots of flavors to enjoy. Of course, since it came in a 1 pound brick, I broke it down into 2 and 3 ounce plugs and put them away in Mason jars for some aging. I’m excited to see how this does with a little bit of time. Great job by Cornell and Diehl!
Nice job! ?☕

Reactions: Fralphog