PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale December 15 at 6 p.m. EST.

The 2013 steamed Virginia dark red, 2019 Georgia red and orange, 2019 and 2022 North Carolina red and orange Virginias combine to offer an abundance of tart and tangy citrus, sugar, bread, grass, floralness, some tangy dark fruit, sour lemon, vegetation, earth, wood, and spice along with light stewed fruit, acidity, vinegar, and a touch of smoke. The orange Virginias take a moderate lead. The strength and taste are a couple of steps past the medium mark. The nic-hit edges past the medium threshold. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough notes that are typical of Virginias that aren’t topped. The mildly moist broken flakes easily break apart, and don’t need any dry time. Burns cool, clean and a tad slow with subtle complexity in its very fruity, sugary sweet, floral, mildly spicy, lightly sour, zesty, rich flavor. Has a pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is is pleasant to tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Four stars out four.
©Jim Amash 2023.

Dec 31, 2023
This goes on sale December 15 at 6 p.m. EST.

The 2013 steamed Virginia dark red, 2019 Georgia red and orange, 2019 and 2022 North Carolina red and orange Virginias combine to offer an abundance of tart and tangy citrus, sugar, bread, grass, floralness, some tangy dark fruit, sour lemon, vegetation, earth, wood, and spice along with light stewed fruit, acidity, vinegar, and a touch of smoke. The orange Virginias take a moderate lead. The strength and taste are a couple of steps past the medium mark. The nic-hit edges past the medium threshold. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough notes that are typical of Virginias that aren’t topped. The mildly moist broken flakes easily break apart, and don’t need any dry time. Burns cool, clean and a tad slow with subtle complexity in its very fruity, sugary sweet, floral, mildly spicy, lightly sour, zesty, rich flavor. Has a pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is is pleasant to tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Four stars out four.
©Jim Amash 2023.
I am new (or, newly returning now that I can actually dedicate myself to exploring different types of tobaccos to develop a palate) and have found JimInks' reviews to be the perfect blend of expressive and no-nonsense. While trying different mixtures I read his reviews and find it possible to pick up on exactly the things he mentions and I think this has been a big help for understanding the flavors present and how things develop as the smoke goes on. This review of Anthology 2023 is a perfect example - specifically the bready flavor and the nicotine level. JimInks and I seem to have similar tastes.

That said, I really want to like this blend as much as he does. I am determined to understand all virginia blends, and I love the small batch concepts that C&D comes up with, but so far when I smoke this I find myself wishing it were brighter. Maybe over time I will find out that I prefer brighter virginias, or maybe my tastes will change so that I can better appreciate reds. This one feels a bit monochromatic and not sweet enough for what I'm looking for, but that is probably just me. Lately I've been getting into Peterson Flake and sometimes I crave it. Soon I'll open a tin of Capstan Blue, then once I've had a few rounds of that I'll try HH Pure Virginia. Maybe when I get a little more time under my belt the weight of the nicotine on Anthology 2023 won't make me shortchange a blend that deserve more from its smoker. While I fully intend to keep rotating back to the one I have open, I have another six tins of Anthology 2023 that I'm looking forward to returning to when both the tobacco and myself have had a chance to mature.

Great review, JimInks!

Cheers from the bottom of the lake!
Lakebottom Piper

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I am new (or, newly returning now that I can actually dedicate myself to exploring different types of tobaccos to develop a palate) and have found JimInks' reviews to be the perfect blend of expressive and no-nonsense.

Jim’s reviews have been a large part of my own learning too. It took me a few reads to understand his format and what he means by the terms he uses, but once I did, Jim’s measured consistency has become extremely helpful in knowing what to expect or what a historic blend was really like.

I wonder, @JimInks, have you ever written an explanation of the format you use and characteristics you judge in your reviews? It may help us newer smokers appreciate them that much more.

While your style is very clear and direct and many terms are self explanatory, there were still some things I found difficult to understand as a newbie (e.g. what are “rough edges” ; the difference between strength and taste.)

Reactions: jipper and JimInks

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
I agree with what's been said here. While I am not the super-taster that Jim is, his reviews have been immensely helpful. Because he has basically reviewed everything, there is a consistency to my ability to compare based on what he says even if I don't directly sense what he does when smoking the same tobacco. It gives me a general sense of what I am going to get...which led me to pick up and really enjoy this blend. I know they are very popular, but I find most of the C&D blends to be somewhat "hollow" is the best I can describe. I found this one to be tasty and to have a depth that I really like even if I can't discern any allspice!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim’s reviews have been a large part of my own learning too. It took me a few reads to understand his format and what he means by the terms he uses, but once I did, Jim’s measured consistency has become extremely helpful in knowing what to expect or what a historic blend was really like.

I wonder, @JimInks, have you ever written an explanation of the format you use and characteristics you judge in your reviews? It may help us newer smokers appreciate them that much more.

While your style is very clear and direct and many terms are self explanatory, there were still some things I found difficult to understand as a newbie (e.g. what are “rough edges” ; the difference between strength and taste.)
Over the years on every forum (and interview) I have been on, I have been asked and answered many questions like those you mentoned. What I haven't done is put it all in one place, one post.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I am new (or, newly returning now that I can actually dedicate myself to exploring different types of tobaccos to develop a palate) and have found JimInks' reviews to be the perfect blend of expressive and no-nonsense. While trying different mixtures I read his reviews and find it possible to pick up on exactly the things he mentions and I think this has been a big help for understanding the flavors present and how things develop as the smoke goes on. This review of Anthology 2023 is a perfect example - specifically the bready flavor and the nicotine level. JimInks and I seem to have similar tastes.

That said, I really want to like this blend as much as he does. I am determined to understand all virginia blends, and I love the small batch concepts that C&D comes up with, but so far when I smoke this I find myself wishing it were brighter. Maybe over time I will find out that I prefer brighter virginias, or maybe my tastes will change so that I can better appreciate reds. This one feels a bit monochromatic and not sweet enough for what I'm looking for, but that is probably just me. Lately I've been getting into Peterson Flake and sometimes I crave it. Soon I'll open a tin of Capstan Blue, then once I've had a few rounds of that I'll try HH Pure Virginia. Maybe when I get a little more time under my belt the weight of the nicotine on Anthology 2023 won't make me shortchange a blend that deserve more from its smoker. While I fully intend to keep rotating back to the one I have open, I have another six tins of Anthology 2023 that I'm looking forward to returning to when both the tobacco and myself have had a chance to mature.

Great review, JimInks!

Cheers from the bottom of the lake!
Lakebottom Piper
Oh boy, if you loved Peterson Flake, I'm guessing that you're going to love Capstan and HH Pure Virginia as well. They both favor the bright Virginia more. All excellent tobaccos.

Jason