PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Jim, Congratulations on the new acquisitions especially the Bing. Enjoy them. But judging from your comments that last comment might be redundant. Looking forward to your 2016 reviews.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Gloucesterman: redundancy is a hallmark of these forums!! :nana: :crazy: :rofl: Thanks for the compliments, pal! I like your posts, too.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I don't know how I missed this thread. I have a couple of unsmoked Merchant Service pipes. I plan on getting around to it sometime. Thanks for the reminder. Im glad you have a good smoker on your hands.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Snagstangl: that's a real treasure trove you have there. How old are they? Any chance of us seeing a photo of them?

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
if you ever see a 4AB, let me know
Hey Jim, I have always wanted a 4AB myself.

peterson-4ab-600x355.jpg

I assume that this is why you want one:

basil-4ab-2-600x480.jpg

Does anyone know when these were made or if they ever come on the market?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Stanlaurel: yer durn right that's why I want one. Been wanting one for thirty years, but I guess it won't ever happen. With my luck, if it does, I won't be able to afford it. But I can hope! :D
At least I have a Crosby replica. If I ever get a chance to get a real Merchant Service at a decent price, I'd buy it. But the MS Basil Meadows made is a terrific smoker. And I'm not the only one who thinks so, as a few people have bought Bings from Basil since I started talking about it, and they say they love theirs, too. Even Basil got curious and made himself one, which he said he is enjoying.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Stan: here's what TWHunter posted a while back: "My Merchant Service Special measures almost seven-inches (six and 29/32" according to my drafting ruler) in length. Its bowl measures one and 22/32" in height, and one and 5/32 in outside diameter (26/32" inside diameter as measured from the top)."
The stem length (seated) is three and 13/32". The length of the shank (as measured from its juncture with the bowl) is two and 1/8". The diameter of the shank is 3/8".
I highly recommend you have Basil Meadows make one for you. His prices are very good for artisan pipe makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.