PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
From his website:

Jimmy passed away peacefully on the night of September 1st surrounded by family, friends, music and dogs. He lived his life like a song till the very last breath and will be missed beyond measure by so many."

He had a great run.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very sorry to hear it. Can't say I was ever a serious fan, but like millions of other people loved the hits I knew him from...especially of course, Margaritaville...what a great song.

He was a unique character. I was just looking at some info online to make extra certain about this given the weird rash of fake death notices this evening, and I was surprised to learn that he had a net worth of 1 billion. Wow...that's gotta be way above average for his peers I would think. I got the impression it may have had a lot to do with his restaurant chain from the little I read.

Anyway...RIP Jimmy...sorry you had to leave us.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was not a big Jimmy Buffet fan, and had two friends who are parrot-heads, they will be crushed. I went to one show, a few years ago, and just didn't. But, he was an American icon, of that, there is no doubt.

We love Key West FL and that city is synonymous with Jimmy, and I was never exactly sure why. This new film about Key West in 1969 and the literary scene that Jimmy was close to explains it (and the related unreleased film "Tarpon"). This now makes perfect sense:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Normally I trust you guys to let me know when to be sad and looking at you @kcghost ( ✌️ ✌️ :) ) so I had to verify! Now I’m sad - losing lots of artists lately which is bittersweet partially because they are artists that influenced my musical tastes when I was young and are about 1/2 generation removed so gets me thinking about mortality - yuck!!!! He’s the only reason I would have ever visited Key West - RIP to what seemed like a truly genuine guy.

Reactions: brian64
I can’t think of any other musician that inspired whole inland cities to become tropical paradises for his fans all over the world. Even Paris has a weekend for his fans. He used his money to establish charities for his fans, and he designed and built a retirement village and nursing home.

He may not have had as many fans as other musicians, but his fans would come together for some really fun parties. Pirate parties.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
1989 basic training at Fort Benning we were bored one night and changed the words of Margaritaville to fit basic, we did the entire song, things like "searching for my civilian clothes... some people claim my recruiters to blame ... but i know it's my own damn fault" ... Drills heard us and made us sing it for the entire starship ... ended up getting us pizza for lunch after our turning blue ceremony. We had one Drill that was all about music and one day when we were on KP he made us a deal that if we could come up with all the words to Renegade by Styx we would get front spot in line for breakfast the next morning, one night to pass time on the night fire live range we had to come up with the words to the theme from All in the Family. All in all he was a good dude and made some "different" memories for basic and AIT.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
1989 basic training at Fort Benning we were bored one night and changed the words of Margaritaville to fit basic, we did the entire song, things like "searching for my civilian clothes... some people claim my recruiters to blame ... but i know it's my own damn fault" ... Drills heard us and made us sing it for the entire starship ... ended up getting us pizza for lunch after our turning blue ceremony. We had one Drill that was all about music and one day when we were on KP he made us a deal that if we could come up with all the words to Renegade by Styx we would get front spot in line for breakfast the next morning, one night to pass time on the night fire live range we had to come up with the words to the theme from All in the Family. All in all he was a good dude and made some "different" memories for basic and AIT.
Thats pretty cool! My brother has a CD of his Ranger school cadence songs, not fit for mixed company!

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thats pretty cool! My brother has a CD of his Ranger school cadence songs, not fit for mixed company!
Yah 89 and those years were not these years, then again i think the first female i saw at Benning that wasn't a nurse at the processing battalion was a female ammo truck driver and she was the biggest dude i saw the entire time there, not fat and out of shape like today's military or an actual dude, she was build like a female hulk. LOL