PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I always look to your reviews over any others before I buy tobacco. You sir are a juggernaut of wealth of tobacco knowledge.
I looked for JimInks reviews researching my tobaccos since day one. I never knew who this guy was but he was everywhere on tobaccoreviews.com. I'm one of the guys who looks for the nic-hit.

The interview with the Virtual Pipe Club was great and because of watching that I have an estate Peterson 309 (4ab) coming in the mail now.

Thank you, Jim!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I looked for JimInks reviews researching my tobaccos since day one. I never knew who this guy was but he was everywhere on tobaccoreviews.com. I'm one of the guys who looks for the nic-hit.

The interview with the Virtual Pipe Club was great and because of watching that I have an estate Peterson 309 (4ab) coming in the mail now.

Thank you, Jim!
You're very welcome, man. Thank you for the compliments. I'd like to see that pipe when you get it.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
You're very welcome, man. Thank you for the compliments. I'd like to see that pipe when you get it.
Jim, you are a true living legend. I'll be telling my grandkids about the great JimInks one day while smoking the Peterson 4ab.

I am pretty excited to receive the pipe, and I will definitely post a picture.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Same here. I enjoy that Jims reviews are so much more than "I like this". That is really hard to do. So much that I wouldnt try. Since everyone has different preferences I cant say Ive loved every 4 star blend Jim rated but I could appreciate that they were well made...just not for me. in the EU our selection is limited a bit. His reviews steered me towards HU blends which I will continue to stock up and enjoy. My only suggestion is that reviews include a cartoon :)

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
2 questions.

First, about how many blends have you sampled?
Second, which one is your all-time favorite?

Thanks

Both of those questions a Impossible for 'him' to answer.

A well hidden secret in the Piping community is that JimInks is actually twenty five pipes smoking elves in a trench coat.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I never take reviews as gospel, but having reliable, consistent reviewers really facilitates making informed purchase decisions based on what types of flavors I like or am interested in trying. It gives me a better idea of what I'm buying and what to expect, and I appreciate that.
I try to wait some time so that I can forget the reviews before trying a new blend, because I want to taste the tobacco without external suggestion influencing the experience and my opinion.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
When you learn how to count, you'll realize that it's twenty-eight of them.
I missed a few legs through the pipesmoke.

Is 28 a lucky number or is that the maximum the Pipe Elves Union Local 656 would allow for the work load?

I also offer my thanks and appreciation and admiration to JimInks - elves or no, you've helped me be a better smoker and taster of fine pipe weed.

Your style across 3000+ reviews is a great help to all of us.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I missed a few legs through the pipesmoke.

Is 28 a lucky number or is that the maximum the Pipe Elves Union Local 656 would allow for the work load?

I also offer my thanks and appreciation and admiration to JimInks - elves or no, you've helped me be a better smoker and taster of fine pipe weed.

Your style across 3000+ reviews is a great help to all of us.
If I keep writing tobacco reviews, I'll have to petition the union for more elves. :)

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
One of the things that drew me to the pipe, over cigars, was the incredible diversity of tobacco blends. Having some experience in wine, it's very similar. Time on the palate enables you to, over time, lock in the mental-palate associations necessary in your brain allowing for repeatable and varied analysis. Only massive amounts of regular, repeated experience grants this. The more time on the palate, the stronger your mental associations become. Doesn't matter what you call the flavour or experience necessarily, as long as your brain goes there and has an association for the experience, you're next level. 99% of people don't ever get there. It takes an insane amount of time on palate for someone to be able to do what Jim does.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
One of the things that drew me to the pipe, over cigars, was the incredible diversity of tobacco blends. Having some experience in wine, it's very similar. Time on the palate enables you to, over time, lock in the mental-palate associations necessary in your brain allowing for repeatable and varied analysis. Only massive amounts of regular, repeated experience grants this. The more time on the palate, the stronger your mental associations become. Doesn't matter what you call the flavour or experience necessarily, as long as your brain goes there and has an association for the experience, you're next level. 99% of people don't ever get there. It takes an insane amount of time on palate for someone to be able to do what Jim does.
It certainly took me many years of smoking, studying, experimenting and guidance to get me wherever I am today. I just hope to learn more.

Given the amount of posts, reviews, and polite responses, Moderators need to limit the amount of daily questions to @JimInks. One of these will eventually suffer if he's answering dumb questions from us all day! :ROFLMAO:
It doesn't bother me at all. If I can be helpful, then I consider that to be a blessing for me, too. There's no point in knowing anything if you can't share the knowledge with others.

Wyomingpiper

Lurker
Aug 1, 2021
Wyoming
"It certainly took me many years of smoking, studying, experimenting and guidance to get me wherever I am today. I just hope to learn more."

This is true wisdom.
I've concluded that's what separate the best at any professional endeavor or hobby.
Obviously natural talent makes a difference, but you can have lifetimes of experience at most things and not be good at it.

I'm convinced without the studieing and experimenting along with the right mindset has to be there to get to a higher level no matter how much time is expended. After that time and experience are very important.

The fact that Jim is still pushing himself to get better is what got him to where he is. Anyone that thinks they have it all figured out probably is a bad source..

All right, sermon over. I just said a bunch of stuff everyone already knows anyway.
Regardless, I'm thankful for everything I learn from anyone in the pipe community, and you all have a great day.

Reactions: JimInks

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
D2028842-DC32-42AC-A190-C52AF620E8C9.jpegD289746C-8C34-4B77-B7A5-D60D0248E400.jpeg06E92DCD-5663-4B72-8620-9E49C8FB1045.jpeg
Here it is @JimInks ! It finally arrived after three and a half months in the transit from Great Britain.

Let it be known that the first ever photos I posted on this site was for the honourable Mr. JimInks.

I will send this off for restoration soon to my friend in Vancouver. I can hardly wait to smoke this pipe when it is all cleaned up.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
View attachment 300090View attachment 300091View attachment 300092
Here it is @JimInks ! It finally arrived after three and a half months in the transit from Great Britain.

Let it be known that the first ever photos I posted on this site was for the honourable Mr. JimInks.

I will send this off for restoration soon to my friend in Vancouver. I can hardly wait to smoke this pipe when it is all cleaned up.
Congrats, man. It'll look lovely and be a great smoker when you get it back. :)

• Love
Reactions: BrightDarkEyes