PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I Have not done a review in a while, but opened a tin of this I had on the shelf for a few months now. Well here we are. Germain's Brown Flake is a highly rated full Virginia flake and it is so because well it should be. The tin note has a very earthy like smell with a hint of molasses. Now the tobacco is a bit moist out of the tin so naturally I jarred this after some air time. This is listed as a flake but honestly it is a very broken flake and really ends up being like a shag/ribbon cut just from transferring the tobacco from the tin to a jar. So with that being said probably a go to flake because it is easy to break up as opposed to other flakes that require (the fun prep time). Anyways these were the tin and tobacco impressions. The smoke is a very flavorful full Virginia Kentucky's are named within the database but I don't notice them that much. This is a very sweet and pleasant VA very mild and just a blend one can smoke all day, and will not bite. I opened this recently and have been smoking it once a week sometimes more. Germain did a very nice job on this blend really keeps an enjoyable smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I have smoked this in Rhodesians, Pokers and Cobs and it always is just a very good quality smoke. I would really recommend this one to beginners who are just getting in to VAs and really any pipe smoker out there because this is a prime example of a VA done right. I know I have been smoking this in the winter but with warmer temps and the fall I can see myself smoking more of this in the future. So overall another very well done blend and it is something that will have you coming back for more.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
All of the attention goes to the Germain-produced Esoterica Penzance and Stonehaven. Sadly, I have just as hard a time finding the Brown Flake. It is an awesome tobacco. It would be high in my rotation if I could actually find it once in a while.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah sadly with the stonehaven and penzance being the rave. A great blend like this gets missed. I am surprised there is never a Germain Brown flake in stock alert because this is a very good blend.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I really enjoy Germain's Brown Flake. I have a tin in my cellar which has 2 years age on it now. I happened to stumble across a tin at the local tobacconist about the time my previous stock ran out. I'm gonna sit on this one for a bit and see how it compares with some age to it.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Looking at trying this VA out once it's back on the shelves. Thanks for the review.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
According to one of our European members this stuff is everywhere all the time in Europe, and Special Latakia flake. So ordering from Europe is always an option if you want it.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I talked to the U.S. distributor earlier today. They haven't had a shipment of Brown Flake since April 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.