PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I see you've hit a vein. So many great jazz musicians, the well-known and unknown. Have Zoot Sims and Dizzy Gillespie been mentioned? Les Paul on the guitar. Lionel Hampton, vibes. Carol Sloan, vocal. Dave Brubeck, piano. Some of the jazz d.j.'s are not only able to recite hundreds of musicians, but also know intimate and intricate details of each recording session going back to the Big Bang. What people were drinking and the recording gear, etc. etc. Spectators, technical staff. Oy.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Here are a few specific albums to check out. Some of my favorites:
#1 almost any Impulse! jazz sampler is great... you'll get miles, Coltrane, Oscar Petersen etc...
#2 John Coltrane: Coltrane's Sound
#3 Lee Morgan: Search for the new land
#4 Miles Davis: Bitches Brew
#5 The Cannonball Adderly Quintette: Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! live at "The Club."
#6 Herbie Hancock Mwandishi (1973)
#7 Chet Baker Sings
#8 Alan Pasqua: the anti-social club (contemporary)
#9 Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffalos: Uganda 1972 (one of my top 10 all time)
#10 Grant Green

Larry Coryell

Sonny Rollins

Art Blakey

Mingus

Monk

charlie Parker

Johnny Hartman
Want some tripped out awesome weirdness?

try some:
Sun Ra

Ornette Coleman

Eric Dolphy

Zappa

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Old red dog... I have a vinyl copy of Sonny Stitt's album: Satan... It's what you'd expect to be hearing if you were at a coke party in a 1970's blaxploitation film... it's pretty groovy!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Nice list folks !! Philobeddoe hit it out of the park and others offer a few I hadn't heard. Good to see so many Brubeck and Sun-Ra fans. Some latin/funk/island influenced jazz like Jackie Mittoo and The Skatalites...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OztDeT8hn4w
I would recommend Compay Segundo as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZYF7Yk3kGU
edit- Oh some African jazz...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3JU5ZMg5Y

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Great artists listed in this thread. For Ethiopian jazz, try Mulatu Astatke (his music was featured in the movie Broken Flowers).

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
The suggestions above are fabulous. However, I didn't notice anyone list Django Reinhardt or Joe Pas. Also, a terrific album is the complete Bill Evans and Tony Bennett duets, and another, Johnny Hartman with John Coltrane.

Welcome to Jazz!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I would like to add Medeski, Martin & Wood and John Scofield. Both bands tend to lie in the avant-garde scope of the genre, but can lay down some nasty funk when necessary!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I like a little Funk and Fusion in my jazz:
Lettuce

Galactic

Karl Denson's Tiny Universe

The Motet

The Greyboy Allstars

Stanton Moore

Soulive

Garage a Trois

The Dirty Dozen Brass Band

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian, Wes Mongomery, Pat Metheny, Al DiMeola, Joe Pass, John McLaughlin and Grant Green are all spectacular jazz guitarists. Guitar is often not seen as a traditional jazz instrument, but these gentlemen are spectacular and there are many more! I suppose some of you have guessed that I have a passion for jazz music, sorry if I'm crowding the thread, but I just love this music so much. I suggest Grant Green's Alive and Green Street and Pat Metheny's The Road to You especially.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hush, Death.
Let us jazz buffs have a few brief moments here in the sun.
Like it or not, some of these cats were the original bad boys - pre and post WWII - of the music world many of us have known during the last half century plus.
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/headphonian/jazz_artists_who_were_heroin_addicts/
Fnord

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Hey, man, jazz people ain't supposed to spend any moments in the sun, get back in that dingy smoked out room and play some music people hate.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I listen to a lot of classic swing. (Classic swing does not mean Glenn Miller. :P) Chick Webb, Bunny Berigan, Basie, Duke - so many great bands.

The great vocalists - Lady Day, Sarah, Ella, Anita. June Christy,Chris Conner.

For acts working now - Eliane Elias,Cyrille Aimee, Hot Club of Detroit.

Trane was mentioned - the album he did with Johnny Hartman is nothing short of brilliant.

There's a start.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
First thing is you have to clarify what you mean by jazz. There's dixieland, prohibition-era flapper music, swing, 50's cocktail-lounge quartet music, and modern jazz, which is basically sounds like a roomful of stone-deaf musicians doing simultaneous warm-up exercises.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Have to agree with shutterbug. To experience the early years of jazz you must include Bix Beiderbecke and Louis Armstrong. Al Hirt and Pete Fountain would be a good example of Dixieland. Can't think of the name of it right know but Hirt did an album of music one would here at a funeral in New Orleans. Despite the rather macabre nature of it, it is an excellent album. Am sure everyone will have a different story on this but the first time a piece of music literally stunned me was the first time I listened to the Art Tatum Group Masterpieces. Had never heard anything like it before.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Ive been on a dark jazz binge. Bohren house der gore, Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, Dale Cooper Quartet and the Dictaphones. I like to listen to this stuff while im doing homework or cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.