PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
The 320 is an Author style pipe. The Roma is rusticated, with nice reddish brown highlights showing through on the peaks of the roughness. This is a substantial pipe, much to my liking. It fits well in my hand. The Lucite stem is a nice color match and there is a thin metal band between the stem and the briar. The drilling is properly done, centered and at the bottom of the bowl. With the 3 mm insert, a pipe cleaner easily passes to the bowl.

So, how does it smoke? Very nicely. I tried it with the balsa filter, the filter does not hinder the air flow, but it gets in the way of running a pipe cleaner through it ... I smoke it with the 3 mm stem insert. Caution, these inserts are not the same size on both ends, stick the smaller end into the stem and you will have no problems. Stick the large end into the stem and it is a bugger to remove.

The pipe has a very ample bowl and easily loads ribbon cut tobaccos. I have not tried other cuts. The bowl is treated, it breaks in quickly. The bowl would certainly be good for complexed blends. I am finishing off a pouch of Half and Half and the citrus notes from the Bright Virginias come through nicely. I started with a pouch of SWR and I guess I am not a fan of straight burleys. I did not like SWR in any of my pipes. But, the 50/50 blend of H&H smokes nicely. I have learned to smoke slowly and even a fresh pouch of tobacco seldom gurgles. And when it starts, I slow down even more and it goes away in a sip or two ...

Is this a good pipe for clenching? Not really. It has a substantial Lucite bit but it is a hefty pipe and bowl hanging out there. I put rubber bits (training wheels?) on it.

If you like an Author design, or a substantial pipe, certainly one of the Savinelli 320 KS in its various finishes would be a good pipe to have in your rotation. It smokes very well, looks awesome, and is simply a damned fine pipe at a decent price.