PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As you are aware, I'm a pretty big James Upshall fan. This is my 8th Upshall but the first Bark finish and unsmoked (NOS) pipe. The Ebay pictures were horrible, but the seller took returns, so I threw the dice. The stem wasn't too difficult to restore, but working around the logo was an exercise in patience. I detailed the process here:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/15906/
Here's some before and after shots:
james_upshall_bark_before.jpg

james_upshall_bark_before-1.jpg

james_upshall_bark_gallery-6.jpg

james_upshall_bark_gallery-1.jpg

james_upshall_bark_gallery-3.jpg

The stem work is very much to my liking and I love the Bark finish. I'm off to the workshop to break this one in!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys. What a great first smoke! I loaded up a bowl of MM965. Smooth, mellow and a great draw (this baby is drilled perfectly). I love the tactile feel of the Bark finish. I occasionally hear about guys who hate breaking in a new pipe, but if they are all like this, I'm a fan.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Lonestar. I've seen dark brown stained Bark finish pipes, but I don't recall seeing one in Tanshell. I just smoked another bowl in it and I really like that tactile finish, it just feels good (and smokes great). I purchased it with largely the intention of reselling it. But it looks like the pipe has won a place in my heart and rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.