PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Price $20 for 12 ounce bag

Highly recommended, for leather tongued old pipe addicts

IMG_6828.jpegIMG_6831.jpeg

I was hoping for something mild and fragrant like the old codger blend Rum and Maple but this is serious pipe tobacco, very serious stuff.

It can stand a little drying, the same as another serious Smoker Friendly blend, Cherry Pipe Tobacco (Tart Cherry).

The reviews I read on this speak of Burley, Cavendish and Virginia tobaccos.

If there’s cavendish there isn’t much nor is there much Virginia. There is a lot of dark Burley with plenty of nicotine and a kick of strong but mellow T-O-B-A-C-C-O flavor that would have given me hiccups if I’d let it. This is real pipe tobacco, not some candy flavored aromatic.

Yes, there’s some rum flavor until the blend kicks in and you just want to eat your pipe, it tastes so good.

Not for beginners.

And it really needs some dry time. I use little pastic tubs, with the lid off.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Price $20 for 12 ounce bag

Highly recommended, for leather tongued old pipe addicts

View attachment 280589View attachment 280590

I was hoping for something mild and fragrant like the old codger blend Rum and Maple but this is serious pipe tobacco, very serious stuff.

It can stand a little drying, the same as another serious Smoker Friendly blend, Cherry Pipe Tobacco (Tart Cherry).

The reviews I read on this speak of Burley, Cavendish and Virginia tobaccos.

If there’s cavendish there isn’t much nor is there much Virginia. There is a lot of dark Burley with plenty of nicotine and a kick of strong but mellow T-O-B-A-C-C-O flavor that would have given me hiccups if I’d let it. This is real pipe tobacco, not some candy flavored aromatic.

Yes, there’s some rum flavor until the blend kicks in and you just want to eat your pipe, it tastes so good.

Not for beginners.

And it really needs some dry time. I use little pastic tubs, with the lid off.
I do like rum. Good review Lee.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Drying this only a few hours changed the blend for the better.

Forgive me for guessing, but I’m guessing the last thing before packaging is a shot of high proof Jamaican rum is somehow used as a topping.

If you smoked this from the bag in a corn cob it might burn it up. The first two bowls I smoked got a couple of my sap filled oxblood red 80 year old Algerians hot, which delighted me and didn’t hurt em’ at all, I love tasting the briar.

After a few hours the alcohol must have evaporated or something and there’s more delicious rum taste, a bit less tobacco taste, no mysterious heat, but still just one of the all time great cheap smoke shop blends.

Get a couple bags.

The do gooders will not forever allow booze soaked, real tobacco, to sell for $1.65 an ounce.:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I enjoy reading your posts Briar Lee. But when it comes to booze and tobacco, I’ll take my rum on the side and enjoy the real tobacco lol
Unless you're growing it yourself, most production tobacco is flavored with a casing and/or topping.