PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
+1 zanthal check out Robert Engel. Sp? You won't be dissappointed.
I get this all the time at the shop where I work. People ogle the pipe cabinets and exclaim, "oh! It's a gandalf pipe!"
I sigh, and begin educating. Can't fault the enthusiasm though.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I gotta admit, Ian McKellen made it look really cool. This thread reminds me a little like the Hatfied thread. It's not going to be easy not calling Costner's pipe "the Hatfield" even after we find what the foxtrot it is.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I feel the same way about a certain pipe that is advertized as a Bilbo. Its a short round little pipe. Its a nice pipe, but if you want to make a pipe and call it by a certain name because you are inspired by them.....well good, but as a marketing gimmick .....get stuffed. Cyndi go get em tiger. I'm with ya.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The amusing thing is, in The Hobbit, Gandalf is smoking the short clay, and Bilbo is smoking the churchwarden.

thebigar

Lurker
Sep 2, 2011
rosewood18.JPG

luna pipes gandalf!
luna pipes
hehe just playing devils advocate

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Ya they have been around since the third age of middle earth!....lol...Just kidding.... :puffy:

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
The Boswell's have a line of 'Wizard' pipes (here) that are altogether something different from churchwardens. I wonder how often they experience confusion on the part of the shopper.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
WHAT?!?! No way, I always believed there were only two styles of pipes in the world: "Gandalf" or "Sherlock Holmes"
Those guys invented pipes....or so I thought.... :?
Guess I'm out of the loop, I'll have to look more into this "truth" you speak of :nana:

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
If it gets people interested and smoking pipes I could really care less what they call them. Then hopefully once they start smoking pipes people will nicely educate them (rather than bitch at them). Everybody starts somewhere and I'm sure everyone has mistakenly named some new object in their life.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I can see where your frustration is coming from Cyndi. Just because Gandalf smoked one doesn't mean it is name that.

Just because "Joe" smokes Rhodesians doesn't mean we call it a "Joe" pipe.

The only reason I would side with it being called Gandalf is due to the fact that more people can relate it to Gandalf. If I had never heard of a Churchwarden I too would most likely call it a Gandalf pipe. It is for the uneducated pipers!

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
What they mean when they say "I want a Gandalf pipe", is actually "I want a pipe like Gandalf's."

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Also, I think Gandalf himself would maybe be a bit upset. Maybe not. Did Bilbo Baggins smoke a pipe? Don't enter the Shire without a briar?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Wait, Churchwardens existed before that lame Trilogy. Shocking. What's more annoying to me than people calling them names after LotR is the fact they're LotR nerds and only smoke a pipe because of those movies. Everybody knows Star Wars is the greatest Trilogy. LOL
Of course that's just my opinion. I never could get into the LotR.

Status
Not open for further replies.