PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gisboro

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Fantastic well thought out and written post. It was a pleasure to read. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Good post quincy. Not fitting in and pipe smoking go hand in hand these days I’d say. No tats here, but I can relate in other ways...there is almost nothing about the modern, cookie-cutter corporate culture that I’m interested in or relate to. (Regarding tats, I have to say it seems like NOT having them makes one more of an outcast these days).
Most people do judge by outward appearances, that’s for sure...human nature.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I am a nut job that believes Jesus was Buddha reincarnate
@chagovatoloco: Although I don’t share that specific belief, I do think that the teachings of Christ in the New Testament seem closer to Buddhist concepts than much of what has come out of orthodox, organized Christendom.

Aug 1, 2012
Great sentiment. As you might have guessed, I don't really 'fit in' much of anywhere but the pipe community doesn't seem to care that much. Even better, when I have that pipe time to reflect and center myself with my God, it really doesn't matter.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm not religious per se but have been looking for answers most of my life; experimenting with different philosophies across the board from Buddhism in my teens to meeting with born again Christians back to Judaism but never really finding an answer in any of them.
Pipe smoking has aided me in the endless search at least slowing me down from the every day race

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'm not religious per se but have been looking for answers most of my life; experimenting with different philosophies across the board from Buddhism in my teens to meeting with born again Christians back to Judaism but never really finding an answer in any of them.
Not to hijack this excellent thread, but several years ago I experienced an incredible epiphany (I was a dyed-in-the-wool agnostic prior to it). My experience transcended formal religion. I won't go into the experience here, but suffice it to to say that I am convinced it is the seekers of the world that have the greatest hope for an answer.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Quincy - Your post reminded me, I've got a few discrete tats from the 80s that I carry. But I'd like to get a classic pipe shape chart done on my back. No kidding. I'm not getting any younger, and nows the time.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Quincy, because of your post, I am reminded to keep an eye on my actions more often.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Beautiful thread. Quincy and Big - I too am a former Youth Pastor, love theology, long hair, former Director of Sales for the US (for a large nameless software company in Redmond WA), tons of tats, rocker to the core, speed freak (not the drug, the velocity), heath and fitness nut. And I LOVE my pipes. I recently had a conversation with my fiancee by stating "pipes have really enriched my life". She said, really - how so? And that's when this youth pastors words failed him. I couldn't really articulate why my soul is fed by this hobby. I lack the vocabulary to really explain it to anyone. There is an old saying among Harley owners that says "If you have to ask, then you wouldn't understand". Its something like that for me....

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
All I know is that having a daily pipe this past Christmas at my in-law's house is what kept me sane. Calmed me down, got me outta the house. Might be why I enjoy Altadis Basin St Blues so much now. It was my excuse to get the heck outta there, and we bonded because of it.
Just wish I had more time to sit and have a pipe. I still find time to have one in the car on the way home from work, but it's not the same as havin a seat, smokin a bowl, and able to focus on just that. It has given me nice breaks from writing my thesis this spring. Been able to help me form my ideas, collect myself, and get back to writing.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
When I wrote this I had no idea that it would even get responses, let alone the responses it got! I know I'm biased because I started it, but what an amazing thread. This just shows what I'm talking about. It's funny in a world where it seems that everything is moving toward superficiality and commercial shininess, there are many among us who crave depth, reflection, and substance. What's amazing to me is that most of the pipe smokers I know share that trait. Maybe it's the nature of ritual, or the fact that one has to sit down and slow down, maybe it's the image a pipe provokes in our mind that attracts these people to it. Whatever it is, it has created an amazing community and fellowship of people who come from all different backgrounds, believe all different things, and yet we are drawn together and bonded by a similar longing and view that life it to be lived and reflected on. I think perhaps this forum is a great model for church or any religious community could be. Finally a place where people can disagree without thinking the other person is evil or wicked, a place where we can discuss our opinions openly (even when someone hates our favorite blend), and a place where we can share the thoughts we think when we smoke without people thinking we're gross for smoking. This really has turned in to a great thread for me! Some day we should organize a Pipesmagazine get together!

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
Quincy, when you say that most pipe smokers have depth, reflection and substance, that really brings out an idea I've been tossing around my head for awhile now. From what I've seen from my limited experiences, people don't so much choose to smoke a pipe, rather they are drawn to it. You do not choose the pipe. The pipe chooses you. Anybody else here agree with me? It just seems that it takes somebody special to enjoy this hobby. There's all kinds of folks here, young and old and from all walks of life, yet we're also very similar. I'm young, but I smoke a pipe, shave with a safety razor, drink mead, and when I'm not hunting or fishing, chances are I've got my nose buried in a book. I love philosophy and theology. I've debated politics and religion with men older and more learned than me. Thing is, I've never really felt like I belonged with any group. I was not social in school and I never fit in with any clique. However, when I light up a pipe, I feel connected and a sense of brotherhood. On more than a few smokes, I have sat and just been amazed that thousands of men and women, from all over the world, do this every day and have been doing so for centuries. I don't know. I'm good with words, but even I am at a loss. The pipe just completes me. It annoys me when people think that I am only smoking or don't understand why I am so into pipes, but I can never articulate it. I reckon it is just an exclusive pleasure of those worthy enough of the pipe.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
If nothing else, a pipe gives me an excuse to be more reflective and contemplative. Gives me an excuse to go outside, light up, and be alone for a half hour or so. Even during the occasional winter day/evening. How many people would think of me as nuts if I just wanted to go outside for 30min, even during the winter months? It's almost like a pipe makes it an acceptable practice to distance yourself from others and be with your own thoughts

smokeybiker

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
being 31 and covered in tattoos myself I've often experienced being judged by the general public for my appearance, my wife always jokes that I look like a convict or a gang member when I'm out wearing a vest top.
however, I agree that none of that seemed to matter the first time I visited my local B&M looking to get started on pipe smoking. The store manager looked right past my physical appearance, was incredibly friendly and helpful. In addition to this, when out smoking my pipe in one of our town parks recently, I had an old gent sit next to me and strike up a conversation about what tobacco I was smoking. I'm almost certain that he would have avoided me at all costs had I been without my pipe, but the pipe seemed to provide some reassurance that I'm actually a good guy.
great thread.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Great post Quincy.
Query: PCA? PCUSA? OPC? RPC? Cumberland?
Query: What part of the country are you in?
(I'm a PCA RE in Miami, Old Cutler Pres to be exact.)

Status
Not open for further replies.