PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I’ve been smoking a pipe since September of 2021, so please know I am a relatively new smoker compared with most of you.

The first “name” pipes I pursued were Charatan, and I like classic Brit pipes in general largely because of the traditional styling and quality build on many of them. My favorites also have very comfortable stems.

I’ve recently come to like the Peterson pipes as well (system and non-system; p-lip and regular), and own a number of them.

These classic Britwood and Petersons pipes smoke well and I enjoy them.

Now I’ve become interested in Italian pipes. I have several from a few different makers (Castello, Mastro de Paja, Mastro Geppetto, Caminetto, etc) and I swear every one of them smokes great. In general, I probably prefer the stem work of the British pipes, but these Italian pipes smoke so well.

Why does it seem that all these Italian pipes are such good smokers? Is it just that they tend to have an open bore? Are Italian pipe makers able to get better briar? Am I full of shit and it’s all in my mind? Is it better quality control?

Perhaps they just suit my smoking style, I don’t know. I’m not even sure exactly what that would entail. I do know there will be more Italian pipes in my future. There will also be more Comoys, Petersons, Charatans, Barling’s Make, etc. because I can’t seem to quit finding more pipes I want to own.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You'll find great pipes from just about every country. I happen to prefer American pipe the most but must admit I have English pipes, Danish Pipes and Italian pipes and they all smoke great. Have a real love for Castello pipes.

Reactions: Ryan

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I’ve been smoking a pipe since September of 2021, so please know I am a relatively new smoker compared with most of you.

The first “name” pipes I pursued were Charatan, and I like classic Brit pipes in general largely because of the traditional styling and quality build on many of them. My favorites also have very comfortable stems.

I’ve recently come to like the Peterson pipes as well (system and non-system; p-lip and regular), and own a number of them.

These classic Britwood and Petersons pipes smoke well and I enjoy them.

Now I’ve become interested in Italian pipes. I have several from a few different makers (Castello, Mastro de Paja, Mastro Geppetto, Caminetto, etc) and I swear every one of them smokes great. In general, I probably prefer the stem work of the British pipes, but these Italian pipes smoke so well.

Why does it seem that all these Italian pipes are such good smokers? Is it just that they tend to have an open bore? Are Italian pipe makers able to get better briar? Am I full of shit and it’s all in my mind? Is it better quality control?

Perhaps they just suit my smoking style, I don’t know. I’m not even sure exactly what that would entail. I do know there will be more Italian pipes in my future. There will also be more Comoys, Petersons, Charatans, Barling’s Make, etc. because I can’t seem to quit finding more pipes I want to own.
It's one of the symptomatic variables of PAD...

Reactions: Pappy Coon and Ryan

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
I am a fan of L'Anatra & Moretti. Savinelli are fab too. There is a Ser Jacapo on the GQ Tobaccos website. Keep trying to get Sam to drop the price a bit. Always a Peterson fan & Northern Briars. All quality

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I only own two pipes and they are both Meers. Being 3/4 Italian I was thinking I need an Italian pipe. Never having a briar I was intimidated about building up cake and screwing up the thing. I like hearing that they smoke well.

Reactions: Lumbridge and Ryan

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Ryan, I can't say it's all in your mind or all in mine, but I tend to agree with you, with a minor exception. For me I find that US and Danish carvers lean towards stems I prefer the "in mouth feel" over the Italian makers. However as far as how the pipes smoke ..... almost all my pipes are of Italian heritage with a few US carvers as well.

For eye appeal, the US and Danish lines please me more, but I don't smoke with my eyes. It's all about flavor.

I suspect why the Italian brands and many US carvers pipes so so well for me is the briar source. The Italian use Italian briar ... go figure. Most, BUT not all the US carvers have been using Italian briar as well, when it was easily available. Some also use Greek, Spanish, and Algerian briar, when they are available.

A few ell known and great carvers have said .... good briar is good briar and source does not matter. I tend to agree with their far more expertise. Personally I firmly believe that age is the key ingredient that provides the better smoking pipes.

Once the briar has been harvested, cut, boiled, and slowly dried, at the mill, the true aging begins. The greater the length of time the briar has to "dry / cure" and reach optimum humidity levels makes the difference.

Each brand and carver has their own technique for assessing when a block is ready to be "worked". Some have set time lengths, such as Castello and Ardor which wait a minimum of 10 years before they begin to ":work" their briar stocks. The Radice's wait at least 5 years.

I have heard, from carvers, that their technique is to knock two blocks against each other and those with a high pitched tone are the ones selected to "work".

One of the great aspects of this world of pipes is the vast array of opinions. Ask 10 pipe smokers a simple pipe question and you'll get 20 different answers.

There are no hard and fast rules. For each one we think we have well in hand there are exceptions. So find what works best, for you, and enjoy. It matters not if it's a cob, meerschaum, briar, billiard, bulldog, or if it's British, French, Italian, Danish or US made.

Enjoy the path. It is a long and winding road!!! hahahahahhahaha

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Could be in your head🙂 but all but one of my Italian pipes have a fairly open draw and I think that smokes better for my smoking tendencies. I def notice the tighter draw on the one that is a little restricted. Hearing what’s in your collection—-sounds like you’re crazy about pipes like the rest of us😆.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
The Radice's wait at least 5 years.
In an interview on You Tube, the Radice say that they use briar that has been aged for 3 years; this is the right time for the briar to reach the right level of humidity. Going further is not necessary, indeed, according to them, briar that is too aged (10/20 years) tastes like "old wood" (textual words).
Montini (Mastro de Paja) also thinks so, Ascorti also...

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
From our last visit from March 2023 I am sure Marzio told me they wait 5 years. As far as 10/20 years old wood......... in 2023 they were ":working" some briar that had at least 30 years of aging ...... I own a pipe made from this "old wood" and it does not taste like "old wood" to me. It smoked amazing from the very first bowlful.....

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
@briarblues
He says it here, from minute 37 to minute 39 (approximately):
He says that they usually work with 3/4 year old briar, but that once they made a pipe with 40 year old briar, then they had a friend of theirs try it and he, knowing that the briar was so old, immediately said that the pipe was very good, wonderful, fabulous. But they joke about the fact that a pipe cannot be really good on the first smoke, even if it comes from very old briar. The friend was easily influenced.
So they are against using briars that have been seasoned for 20, 30, 40 years because they think that a certain percentage of humidity must remain in the briar.
The plates, after 2/3 years, are ready and must be processed. I've heard this from other manufacturers too.

Obviously that's their opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, the age of the briar is the aspect that interests me least in a pipe and - in my opinion - affects the quality of the smoke the least.

Sorry for the OT.

Reactions: briarblues

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
From our last visit from March 2023 I am sure Marzio told me they wait 5 years. As far as 10/20 years old wood......... in 2023 they were ":working" some briar that had at least 30 years of aging ...... I own a pipe made from this "old wood" and it does not taste like "old wood" to me. It smoked amazing from the very first bowlful.....
I would love to visit the Radices, maybe even a little more than the Castello factory.

Reactions: briarblues