PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I picked up an unsmoked Sasieni Ashford Natural about five years ago. I vowed not to smoke it, unless I had a special occasion. Two years ago, I lit a match to it the day my granddaughter was born. Everytime I use that pipe, I think about that day and what a blessing she is. So, totally worth it! (one day her father inherits it)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you want to smoke them, smoke them. I have a few unsmoked pipes, like the 1907 Barling companion set, that I'm happy to enjoy in their unsmoked condition. There's something kind of neat about owning something that's super rare and that acts like a little window to a bygone era. For example here's a pipe that commemorates Charles Lindberg's solo flight across the Atlantic:
Si2uzGF.jpg

xqh35CC.jpg

X6ddfpD.jpg

I didn't plan on not firing it up, but I find that I have no need to do so. I've since restored the stem on it. I can enjoy it as a little piece of history. If I ever decide to smoke it, then fine. But for now it's fine just as it is, a reminder of a different era when an historical event would be commemorated with a pipe.
Once I've put a match to an unsmoked collectible vintage pipe, it's just another old used pipe. And it could be a very expensive match.
It's not like I lack for pipes to smoke. I smoke about 95% of what I own. The other 5% can be enjoyed unsmoked. But I also have an interest in the history of pipes and tobaccos, probably to an extent greater than most. I understand the view that a pipe is meant to be smoked. I simply don't buy that it's the only way to enjoy a pipe.
Ultimately, it's up to you what you want to do.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I had one pipe that was so nice, that I couldn't make myself smoke it... so I sent it off to Pipestud to sell for me and used the money to buy 2 very nice pipes that now I smoke regularly. :puffy:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thanks for the insight, Al, & Sable. I think it will go unsmoked... for now. Al, I really like your idea. A great way to attach a great memory to a pipe!
Tim

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke my pipes, as the only reason I own them. If I stopped smoking for health reasons, I'd keep them as a collection, or most of them. But I vote for using them. Nothing wrong with setting one aside strictly as a collector piece, if that feels more respectful to it, and maybe buying some other pipes to fill in for smoking. But I'd vote for smoking them. There may be a collectors' group that would urge you to only collect.

Status
Not open for further replies.