PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I see that Microsoft has a new operating system that can be had for free. Is it something I should acquire?

I don't use a lot of devices...only my laptop. I've got #7 on it.

Thanks for your input!

mike

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Windows 10 is very much like 7, but 11 million times better (in my opinion!)
There are a few bugs, still. My son's minecraft had to be re-installed last night, and the printer driver defaulted back to "Print as PDF" instead of remembering the already installed printer, but these were minor, easily fixed issues.
If you're not technical, I'd recommend waiting a month to let MS work out the bugs, but it is wonderful. Quite a bit faster than 7.
I think you'll be pleased.
Disclaimer - I'm a computer geek, but NOT an IT professional!!!!!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
If you look at your computer as a production tool, then don't upgrade until there is a killer app that you can't do without that will work only on the new o/s.
If you are hobbyist and like tinkering around, go for ten but do wait a month or so, as others have suggeted. Let the early adopter's beta test for you.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Thank Booker I have been using Classic Shell start menu for awhile now. I was wondering if Microsoft smartened up and put it back in. I would rather use something built into the OS rather than an add on.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Booker,
Yeah, the speed boost is over Windows 7. Win 8, while odd, did come with a fair speed boost. Win 10 maintains that, but doesn't seem to add any more. At least none that I've noticed.
One neat thing about 10 is that you can make it work just like 8, for the times that a large touch screen is preferred, but it acts almost exactly like 7 (much like 8.1 did) when that's preferred.
My son (only 6) was originally diagnosed with Asperger's, though they eventually changed his diagnosis to "really smart stubborn kid." He's not doing any programming yet (of course) but I can see him doing so in the future.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Right, Booker.
He would be "Low-Impairment Autistic," nowadays, but everybody still says "Asperger's," even me.
My little one never had the coordination issues, but definitely tends towards the non-social and ritualistic.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I have a very new computer with windows 8.1 and I HATE it. I can get over the ways to navigate- but it has consistently been slow, prone to freezing, and just browsing the internet is PAINFUL. I find I just avoid using my computer now and I'm just angry at the $800 I spent (I know that's not high end) when I insisted to my wife we needed to upgrade from our 6 year old, Celeron machines.
Windows 8.1 on this Toshiba is essentially as useless as my 6 year old machines.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My wife and I bought laptops with Win8 and touchscreens, and really don't much care for the interface. We also have nearly identical desktop machines, but I got mine just before Alienware stopped shipping machines with Win7 (whew!) whereas she got Windows 8 on hers. We'll probably upgrade the Windows 8 machines to 10 once the first Service Pack comes out, as we both loathe 8. If it's an improvement, I'll consider upgrading the desktop as well.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Are you saying that Microsoft has a newer OS other than Windows ’95!

Please tell me that there is a Greta tutorial on it or I’m staying with ’95.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nbr_OLqTOo

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
tarak,
Something is wrong with your machine! There is a lot to hate about Windows 8 and 8.1, but performance should not be a problem. MS built 8 with mobile in mind, and it has a much lighter "footprint" than 7, which was already lighter than Vista. I don't have any suggestions without seeing the computer, but there is surely something else wrong!
And $800 dollars, while certainly not a high-end gaming rig, should be more than sufficient for web browsing, movie streaming and casual gaming.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Down loaded and installed my copy today. Took about an hour and a half but when it came up everything worked perfectly. Microsoft did a good job on this one and you certainly can't beat the price. The new browser doesn't support Norton yet so you'll still have to use Explorer if you want internet protection. But even there they notified you of the situation and made it easy to switch back to Explorer. I haven't really played with it much so I can't say if I like it or not yet. Initial impressions; if you were comfortable with 8.1 it's an easy transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.