PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
My Radice Bent Apple showed up today from Smoking Pipes. I couldn't be happier. This pipe is exactly as described. It feels great in the hand and has a voluptuousness about it. One of my pet peeves about a pipe is how the shank and the stem meet up. I want a perfectly smooth transition between them. This pipe delivers. I close my eyes and run my finger along the stem to the shank and cannot feel the transition. The only hint is the difference in feel between the wood and the stem. Now of course, you cannot buy a pipe without some tobacco. So I purchased my first tins of tobacco. I admit I am a fan of the aromatics, plus the sweeter the room note, the more my wife likes it. Happy wife... means I can buy more pipes and tobacco. Well here it is:

null-46.jpg

null-47.jpg

null-48.jpg

null-52.jpg

I can't wait to take it out for a smoke. Any suggestions on breaking it in? This will be the first pipe I have broke in that was not pre-carbonized.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Good looking pipe. To break it in smoke something you like and take it slow.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Congratulations on a very nice pipe! :clap: ...and thanks for posting the pix!

I think you will find that Radices break in very nicely and deliver wonderful smokes.

What I like best is the feel of the button in the mouth -- Radice makes it so comfortable.

Uh, and that flame grain on yours is not too shabby either! Beautiful! :)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I just fill it all the way and smoke it from the start, never had anything bad happen :) Just can't let it get too hot. You should cake it with whatever your coolest burning tobacco is, something that burns really well without a whole lot of relights, that you don't mind smoking for a while. I actually use Moontrance for this, which is an aromatic VA because it burns really well, cakes very quickly, and smells good when I'm done with no bite, seems to also smoke cooler than most blends.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
She really is a beauty. Looks like an excellent drill job, too. I've had nothing but good stuff from Smoking Pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is a beauty, Radice represents one of the best values in my opinion. They smoke like a Castello but at half the cost. Just fill it up and smoke like you normally would. I would not take it outside to smoke until it has developed a really good cake. When you get down to the bottom you will actually start to taste the briar, don't freak out, it is normal. If the pipe gets hot while smoking, just let it rest until it cools and then light it up again. With those thick walls and the wide open draw, you are going to be amazed at how she smokes. That is one pretty Radice, great choice.

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
That is a fantastic looking pipe. Might have to add this to my list of pipes to consider buying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.