PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andylo

Lurker
Oct 5, 2019
hi guys,

i am a newbie, i am thinking to buy a comoy's special straight grain estate pipe and unsure if it is worth buying. there is a quite a big pit inside the chamber and i am unsure it if can be fixed. the price is about $110. any opinion would be appreciated.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That looks like a very nice pipe. You should be able to ream, wash with mild soap and water (Murphy’s) alcohol kosher salt soak in the chamber, buff and wax pipe will be awesome. There are plenty of how too clean your estate pipe threads and you tube videos. Check Reborn Pipes to learn a ton. There are some wise pipe masters here (I’m not one) who can help as well

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Kocher (remove c add Sj Salt. Pipe emoji not my doing. If you type s h e r together it somehow makes this emoji.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, let me sing counter point here, just for discussion. Comoy are good pipes, but I find $110 steep for an under-maintained pipe, which this is. If you buy it, and ream it, as a beginner go very cautiously. Reaming is fun and almost forces you to overdo it, and pretty soon you've take off briar you can't put back, or at least this happens to many beginners. So do it incrementally, and stop before you feel you are completely done. A beginner who gets it clean as a whistle has probably ruined the pipe. Okay, that's my version of a party pooper, but I may have saved you some trouble.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
From the evidence in the photos it does look like it could be restored to good condition. The grain looks good. I agree with TroutTimes it will probably smoke great. Another question is, what is the brand, shape and finish of this pipe worth to you? Relative availability is another factor.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Its nice but when you start into this hobby it's easy to buy things that seem better than they are. I wish I would have found this community prior to diving in!

There's many many very decent pipes for around 100$. If blueroombriars.com or smokingpipes.com are an option for you they are worth the look. You won't have to worry so much and they are great to work with.

I have been very happy purchasing from them as many on here are.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't researched this particular pipe, but looking at the SP pages on Comoys, I see that they have a good selection of new pipes for between $86 and $99, with some going up a little from there, but mostly still under $200. This is a pretty Canadian shape, and nice grain, but I'd check out the "extremely rare and collectible" moniker carefully. Newbies need good smoking pipes and might leave the collectibles to the experts?

Reactions: cshubhra
That’s true

I haven't researched this particular pipe, but looking at the SP pages on Comoys, I see that they have a good selection of new pipes for between $86 and $99, with some going up a little from there, but mostly still under $200. This is a pretty Canadian shape, and nice grain, but I'd check out the "extremely rare and collectible" moniker carefully. Newbies need good smoking pipes and might leave the collectibles to the experts?

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
The flip side to the argument...it's 100$. If you're in a position that losing it would sting, than I would say move on. If not, go for it! There's no wrong answer, she is still very nice to look at!

Reactions: trouttimes
Status
Not open for further replies.