PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
On a tin of blending perique there were some white specs. Not covered but scattered across it only where the tobacco touched the paper on the top of the tin. Is it mold and should I be concerned? I almost wonder if its part of the paper degrading...

When I rub the paper from the top of the tin I get white powder on my finger...hmmmm

Didnt have this problem with torben dansk perique. They bag it first. This was McConnell

specs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: leonidas
Yehhhh, that picture isn't giving me anything to go on. Does it smell moldy... phhhht, if it's perique it will have an odd smell anyways, just search for a moldy smell on top of that. All in all, push to shove, toss it. Is a $20 tin worth a sinus issue that will cost thousands of dollars to deal with and probably years to overcome? I know someone who merely had mold in their home, and he looked miserable for a long time.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
In my experience, that's fairly common among perique.

Dont know if it's related to the sugar content in the leaf.
Back when RO released Acadian Gold (Canadian bright leaf given the perique process) it caused a bit of a stir. Those tins looked ghastly when opened, but it wasn't mold.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Is is definitely not crystaline. Seems odd that it was just on the surface where the paper makes contact with the tobacco. Then again, what do I know. It might make perfect sense. I wont be buying more McConnell belding stuff tobacco.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If that is the case its a lot cheaper to toss a 50 gram tin and be safe. I dont have a microscope and wouldnt know what I was looking at if I did.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Better picture(s) would have helped. You could put it up to your nose and smell it. Mold has a moldy smell to it.
Or you could just chuck it.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Perique is so strong smelling. There was only white specs on top kind of specks of white. Nothing underneath.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Those are crystals. Not all crystals have obvious macroscopic symmetry, especially in complex mixtures of various salts. Somewhere on another thread I posted microscopic images of these salts specks growing in my Acadian Gold, which is a Perique processed Virginia.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Those are crystals. Not all crystals have obvious macroscopic symmetry, especially in complex mixtures of various salts. Somewhere on another thread I posted microscopic images of these salts specks growing in my Acadian Gold, which is a Perique processed Virginia.
I have one tin left of the Acadian Gold. One day I'll open it and take some in-depth photos.
It's such a unique product.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If that is the case its a lot cheaper to toss a 50 gram tin and be safe. I dont have a microscope and wouldnt know what I was looking at if I did.
In terms of "safe". I have not heard of any pathogens growing in tobacco. If it was big and hairy, yeah, I probably get it out of the house as fast as possible. If it was just some white dots, and the tobacco was yummy, I'd go for it. Remember that Perique is full of all sorts of non-pathogenic bacteria. Like sauerkraut, that's what makes it so good.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
In terms of "safe". I have not heard of any pathogens growing in tobacco.
I ran across the studies referenced below about a year ago. They were specifically dealing with cigarette tobacco but probably still relevant. I’ve excerpted some interesting passages.

The most common mold on processed tobacco is Aspergillus Fumigatus. Over 30 other Aspergillus strains have been found in processed tobacco (Papavassiliou, et al, 1971). Some Aspergillus strains produce aflatoxins which can be fatal or produce long term damage when inhaled.

A 1968 study done by scientists at the British American Tobacco Company (Wood, et al) determined that viable mold spores from contaminated tobacco enter the smoke stream in sufficient quantities to “...warrant some consideration of the role which micro-organisms may play with regard to smoke toxicity.”

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I ran across the studies referenced below about a year ago. They were specifically dealing with cigarette tobacco but probably still relevant. I’ve excerpted some interesting passages.

The most common mold on processed tobacco is Aspergillus Fumigatus. Over 30 other Aspergillus strains have been found in processed tobacco (Papavassiliou, et al, 1971). Some Aspergillus strains produce aflatoxins which can be fatal or produce long term damage when inhaled.

A 1968 study done by scientists at the British American Tobacco Company (Wood, et al) determined that viable mold spores from contaminated tobacco enter the smoke stream in sufficient quantities to “...warrant some consideration of the role which micro-organisms may play with regard to smoke toxicity.”
I love when I’m proven wrong! Thank you!

Reactions: renfield

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Sometimes, most likely unintentionally, the internet is an actual source of information.

I was prompted to go digging last year after the 397th “is this mold” and “is it safe to smoke” thread. I was already disinclined to smoke moldy tobacco and now have no plans to ever knowingly do so. I can easily replace a moldy tin, lungs not so much.