PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I am tempted to send him the link to this thread so that he can see what people are saying,people who may well be more knowledgeable on this subject!

Is it really worth having my image tarnished for a few pounds/dollars?

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Top man Sablebrush!
We have had the odd chat on this forum before and I must admit that I have never really been a "collector" of pipes, just a smoker, but over the past year you have done much to change my thinking on this. This had had two effects: 1) I am now much more critical and caring of my pipes and with purchases / sales / swaps and 2) I tend to spend more money on higher quality / rarer pipes. Therefore I understand better where you're coming from in terms of legitimacy (it didn't really bother me too much before as all I was interested in was if the pipe smoked well and looked good).
The downside is I'm usually skint.
:D

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
As always... buyer beware. I'm definitely not a Dunhill expert as I don't even own a Dunhill pipe, but even I see numerous red flags with this pipe. Hopefully who ever wins this auction is aware of what they're really bidding on, but sadly it will probably be some unsuspecting newbie to the pipe smoking hobby thinking he's going to get a good deal on a vintage Dunhill pipe. Unfortunately he'll be sadly mistaken.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I am not all knowing and accept I could be wrong but I simply state what I believe to be true based on a strong knowledge of the subject
This sentence can simply be interpreted as "I know that I am wrong, but I am trying to make some profit out of it." That's exactly how they entered to Iraq, based on a strong knowledge.

As to questions about how or where one could get a stamp... I can make any kind of stamp you could want, but I won't. Almost any metalsmith could do this for you, but don't bother asking me. I am not interested at all in adding this to my list. I am merely saying that getting a stamp made isn't as rare and exclusive as you might think.

That said, the guy is a crook, IMO.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Funny you should ask this Ken, I was just reading the John Loring article the other day THE 1980s FAKE DUNHILL

thank you for that dmcmdk- wow, what an article. I did know that collector quite well and met with his family for dinner etc in the 1980s. It saddens me that people can go to extraordinary lengths to obtain what is pretty unobtainable and people who definitely don't need the money but the prestige I suppose. Disgruntled pipe-makers, well yes that sounds more 'natural'.

And thanks Cosmic mod for your input. I am learning so much each day.

I did send the ebayer of this poor quality fake the link to this thread and hopefully he may become more knowledgeable about these fakes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
dmcmtk, are you a god?

You're spot on about the stem not being an original.
Yes! Dave has one the best eyes and memory of any British briar fan that I know. If you are contemplating a big investment, you'd do yourself a favor and check with Dave on authenticity, etc.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
This has been the best / most informative thread I have read in a long time. Tons of really good information.
All that being said, this is one of the reasons why I avoid the estate market. I would have a very hard time determining if the pipe was authentic. Personally, I prefer to spend a little more money, buying new from a reputable dealer, for piece of mind. Nonetheless, I love the entertainment value when a Fake is called out!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I have bought and sold many pipes on the estate market, and in fact, all of my Dunhills come from eBay. I have stumbled on some superb deals, and that works best for me as my funds are very limited. As a seller, and especially as part of what is like a brotherhood of hobbyists and collectors, I feel it is an absolute responsibility to accurately describe the item. I have alerted four different sellers in the past to fake Dunhills, all bearing the very same counterfeit problems this particular fake has. All of them were responsible and respectable and edited their listings to mention that it is indeed a fake. This is the first seller I have encountered with one of these who insisted that my knowledge was merely an "opinion." I too alerted eBay to the problem yesterday, but who knows what will come of that. Being innocently ignorant of details is one thing, but to ignore knowledge and facts in order to take someone's money is an outright crime. I really hope eBay takes this listing down, for the sake of the poor guy on the other end expecting to score a nice pipe.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
NorthernNeil, if you shop BriarBlues, Mikelaw or Marty Pulvers you'll get great verified pipes.
All three are stellar in the business.
If an auction style is what you like the Pipestud on ebay is excellent.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Hey Ash, I totally get that. However, as I said, fake estate pipes is "one" of the reasons I do not buy estate pipes. There are other personal reasons I stay away from them. Nonetheless, if I were to delve into the estate market, SP.com or one of the sellers you listed above would be the place I would start.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I am fascinated as to where they obtain the stamp dies or how they copy them."
Ken, the guy is from Sheffield, (as am I), the home of steel and anything made thereof. Most small workshops could produce stamps of any kind without much difficulty.
Regards,
Jay.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Jay, that is a very good point 'home of steel'.

I wonder who has the gall to get a filled pipe and a cheap one with varnish/lacquer applied and no knowledge of pipes and amidst all the feedback he is receiving about the pipe being a fake (it's now at over £100), his home is the 'home of steal' rather than 'home of steel'.

I think I will report his behaviour to ebay in the morning as it gives ethical ebay sellers a potential air of distrust.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I think I will report his behaviour to ebay in the morning as it gives ethical ebay sellers a potential air of distrust."
Good on you Ken, if he is indeed fraudulently selling then he needs to be exposed :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I sent a fraud complaint to eBay after this story first broke here. I know of at least one more person who filed a fraud complaint with eBay. The more complaints, the merrier. But eBay seems to have done nothing so far. Maybe more complaints will wake somebody up in their tiny fraud department.

Status
Not open for further replies.