Is There any Dunhill Chestnut 5102 Pipe with Black Stem?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajed21477

Lurker
Apr 27, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi
I recently saw a dunhill chestnut 5102 pipe with a black stem. I dont know the pipe and stem are original or not.IMG-20200427-WA0038.jpgIMG-20200427-WA0040.jpgIMG-20200427-WA0041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Good places to check for authenticity on Dunhill stems is the tenon and the slot. Dunhill tenons have a little shoulder slant where the tenon meets the stem, and the slot has rounded sides, rather than the very rectangular look that is more common. Most (if not all) replacements I’ve seen do not match in these two areas. That being said, regarding the other part of your question as to whether the Chestnut line ever had a black stem, I know the Amber Flame line can have either black or brindle stem, depending on the year. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Chestnut with a black stem. I’ll do a bit of research though.

Reactions: Sajed21477

Sajed21477

Lurker
Apr 27, 2020
Good places to check for authenticity on Dunhill stems is the tenon and the slot. Dunhill tenons have a little shoulder slant where the tenon meets the stem, and the slot has rounded sides, rather than the very rectangular look that is more common. Most (if not all) replacements I’ve seen do not match in these two areas. That being said, regarding the other part of your question as to whether the Chestnut line ever had a black stem, I know the Amber Flame line can have either black or brindle stem, depending on the year. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Chestnut with a black stem. I’ll do a bit of research though.
Tnx a lot.

Reactions: lightmybriar

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Good places to check for authenticity on Dunhill stems is the tenon and the slot. Dunhill tenons have a little shoulder slant where the tenon meets the stem, and the slot has rounded sides, rather than the very rectangular look that is more common.

The "tenon test" works in only one direction. If angled, the odds it's legit approach certainty. If rounded---and the pipe was made during or after the 1970's---it means nothing. Dunhill started making them both ways at that time and mixed them at random.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
The "tenon test" works in only one direction. If angled, the odds it's legit approach certainty. If rounded---and the pipe was made during or after the 1970's---it means nothing. Dunhill started making them both ways at that time and mixed them at random.
Good information, thank you, George!

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Hello there.
I have something to add, maybe it helps.

While the Amber Root finish existed in the past with Cumberland and black Vulcanite mouthpieces (now we use usually the black Vulcanite variety only), the Chestnut finish, to my best knowledge, always had the Cumberland mouthpieces fitted.

It is possible, however, that this was a special request or that it was a replacement mouthpiece."
From Dunhill factory - Mr Hener.

Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.