Is There A Foreseeable End To Your Collection?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I get one every few years, simply because I usually don't want many, just one magic pipe, and then I want to smoke no other.
This has happened to me. Lovely to fall in love with a pipe and live life to its fullest with it.
I was gonna mention... I used to collect music. Then I figured out a bit about standard distributions and realized how much I want to collect only from the far-right of the curve, where there's stuff I'll enjoy for decades.
I'd really like to sit on a throne of Royal Yacht and Semois however. MSO666489 got me back into that delicious leaf, and I think of it as like Old Toby from Lord of the Rings: the best, and yet a favorite you always look forward to, like a renewal of goodness itself.
Might have to hunt some down, although today is my latest fascination, the Five Brothers / Royal Yacht mix that is unforgivingly delicious.

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
I'd love to say there is an end in sight, but until I stop falling in love with every pipe that I can't afford I don't think there is any hope.

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
I am a sucker for a steal on Fleabay but most of those Gorgeous pipes I see are out of my budget. I just remind myself that my cellar is not full yet and I would rather have 30 tins than one slightly differently shaped pipe.
Though I hope to buy, someday, an unsmoked Dunhill poker...

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Maybe once I get to 30 pipes. I am only at 5 so a long and expensive way off.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have an alternative notion in mind--maintaining and improving the current collection. Except for a twin version of my original Vampire's Wand created by Stephen Downey, most of the expenses will be cleaning, repairing, and so forth, the lovelies I laboriously gathered over the past few years, and that includes tobacco sampling.

Jan 8, 2013
You should make the Vampire's Wand your avatar photo. That's a pipe we just don't see enough of.
As for an end to my collecting? Too many pipes I want to acquire yet. I'd definitely like to acquire a few more Nording high grades. And with two Peterson Silver Spigots in my collection of Petes, I'd like to add a few more spigots in different shapes. And that's just the spigots. There are quite a few more Petersons in general I'd like to add.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Oh Lord, I forgot, I don't have any of the spigots yet...or the army mounts...thanks for mentioning the Nordings, too, Anthony, I just don't have enough of those...

Maybe this idea of stopping collecting needs to be considered a bit more...
The Wand doesn't display well because of the soot black stain, which is too bad because I really liked the idea of bas-relief bats on the surface of a sandblasted stumble, and Stephen pulled off my challenge to him with the verve of a true artisan genius. Maybe we can figure out something with the twin.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
My true collecting stopped when Rad Davis retired. I then tried to get onto a new carver in hopes of establishing another collection in the name of David McCarter, shortly after though, he stopped making pipes.
That's about the time I decided to start making pipes as a hobby. I imagine at some point I'll have more of my own pipes than any others. At that point it'll probably be time to sell the Downie, Davis, and McCarter collection.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
clickklick, yeah, once you start making your own pipes it short-circuits the fantasies of scanning the horizon for one you want.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
If I could just buy the entire Savinelli line-up, that'd be great! ...Oh, and throw in half-a-dozen Dunhill's and the odd 'other' pipe and I'll be happy! :wink:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
At any rate, we've seen inflation like this before, and the crash-&-burn that follows. Maybe then will I be "looking" again.
"Flea Prey" (hehe) is overrun with people doing it as a part-time job and reselling. They like to jack up their own prices with sockpuppets. I thoroughly enjoyed your curmudgeonly post.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
There are so many great pipes and pipe makers. I have told myself many times that a particular pipe acquisition would be my last, because I would have everything I could reasonably want. But my tastes evolve and I may fall in love with a particular shape, or I may find a pipe maker whose work really grabs me and I'll want to have a few more of their pipes. It happened over and over again. Also, my approach to "collecting" was really to buy pipes that appeal to me and to have a range of different pipes that would cover my tastes and allow me a suitable pipe to fit any mood or occasion - this probably leads to more pipes than if you collected one particular type or brand.
But, for me, there came a point where space to store the pipes became an issue. And I look through my pipe agglomeration and I have at least a few of every style of pipe that I would like. There's also a level of guilt that built up when I see some of the great pipes I have and realise that I don't smoke them as much as they deserve - just because I have too many. In short, approximately 200 pipes is the stopping point for me.
I still look at retailer websites and I see pipes that I like, but I don't have the same compulsion to buy them any more. I've always got something similar already which I like just as much. I also only really look at pipes from two or three pipe makers now, and I have no more interest in what other pipe makers are making - that could only lead to unnecessary purchases or (worse) a further commitment to buy a few more if I really like them. I just decided what tribe I am in and I'm happy with that, if you see what I mean. For me, now, Roush, Le Nuvole, Asteriou, Parks and Former are the only pipes I have interest in looking at, and I probably have enough of all of those already.
If I do see a pipe that tempts me I don't buy it right away, and I wait and see how I still feel about it a week or two later. If it has sold, well there are many more great pipes and you could always commission what you want, but I generally accept it as a good thing that the temptation has been removed and I can put the pipe out of my mind and light up one that I already have instead. Almost all of the time I decide anyway that the pipe is not something I really need in my collection. Other times I feel that I would like it but not enough to justify the cost, given what I have already.
There is an end. At least for me.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
What heresy is being discussed herein? Harrumph. For a moment, I thought someone implied that pipe collecting could end.

Status
Not open for further replies.