Is the Pipesandcigars.com Magazine a New Thing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I just got the magazine today and thought it was kind of nifty. There was an article about different kinds of tobacco aging that I thought was kind of a fun read, and Russ did a review of Davidoffs English Mixture that was interesting as well. I think it would be cool if they could keep offering unique content like that and sent one out every month or so. Id definitely read it if that was the case.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Dont feel bad Bob...if I got one my wife intercepted it.

Shes got this weird idea that I dont need more...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've gotten 2 over the last 2 years.
I like them. A fun read. I kept them both because one laid out the flavor profiles of the Lane Limited blends which I liked, because I'm not going to remember wtf the numbers and letters mean.
Definitely more of a catalog than a magazine, but still a fun read.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
This catalog was actually designed before the move, so it's fundamentally the same as we've done for the last couple of years. The only things that were redesigned were the front and back covers. What many people don't realize is that a large portion of our customer base is not computer friendly and only know us by phone and our printed catalogs. I know that for many of us this seems inconceivable, but it's a fact, and we don't want to alienate those people.
Russ

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Russ, I'm sorry. I feel badly that these guys are giving this thing such a hard time. I've actually been thinking about it all day. While I can't apologize for people and don't want to put anyone on blast, it's disappointing to see people putting you in a spot where you really have to defend and justify what you're doing. Your company is in huge transition and people are expecting instant results. You would think pipe smokers out of all people would understand that sometimes, even in a microwave society, that patience is needed in order for the reward. It takes time to pack a pipe properly and smoke it. It isn't a cigarette. I like the pipe because it isn't an "I want it RIGHT NOW" type of thing. It makes me slow down and wait and the pay-off is worth it.
I can understand that people are discouraged right now. I get it; I really do. We don't like change and PipesandCigars has changed. We may feel it wasn't broke so why fix it thing, but it is what it is. One thing I've learned is no matter what you do, if you change something some people are going to hate it. You keep doing what you think is right. I like that you're there. I truly believe you are one of "us" and have our best interest in mind. I think you've shown and proven that with your posts here. Keep up the good work, Russ and at least I will support you. I may wait for the dust to settle a little bit, but I will continue to order from P&C as long as you are there and your blends are available.
Oh, and you can keep sending me catalogues! I like em! They're shiny and the pictures make me want to buy things!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
It seems to me that, merger or no, they would have been a bit better supplied for a promotion that they have known was coming up for at least six months. Besides the Dunhill blends, it also seems to me that there is a lot more "back ordered" items than normal.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I feel badly that these guys are giving this thing such a hard time. I've actually been thinking about it all day. While I can't apologize for people and don't want to put anyone on blast, it's disappointing to see people putting you in a spot where you really have to defend and justify what you're doing.
I am mostly in agreement with Quincy on this one, P&C is a good retailer and they haven't lost my business - however, there is one place where I think P&C has fallen short and that is to be a bit more upfront with the difficulties (by this I mean not just Russ coming here and explaining, but to do so in a mass email) and be a bit more contrite.
They've messed up 2 of my orders in the past month. I got a brief apology, but I felt they could be doing a little more. IMHO, it would be nice if they not only apologized, but explain that they're going through a tough transition, mistakes were made and sincerely appreciate my business. I know about the transition only because of this forum, but I'll bet the majority of their customers are unaware of it.
I also think they'd be smart to offer a customer appreciation sale - to come right out in one of their email blasts and say "hey - we''ve fallen short of our high standards of customer service, and to make it up, we're offering a 25% off sale to anyone who made a purchase in the past 30 days" or something like that.
All of that said, I feel for Russ and P&C - I am still happy to be patient and am glad they are a supporter of this site and forum.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Print catalogues are old school and rapidly dying out,
I know this "sounds" true, but it's not. The Post Office recently reported a surprising increase in the past year of catalog mailings, and "junk mail" is actually on the rise.
Since my wife occasionally orders clothing, we easily get two catalogs a day at our house -- often more. Even being conservative, that's around 500 catalog mailings each year.
Bob

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I am mostly in agreement with Quincy on this one, P&C is a good retailer and they haven't lost my business - however, there is one place where I think P&C has fallen short and that is to be a bit more upfront with the difficulties (by this I mean not just Russ coming here and explaining, but to do so in a mass email) and be a bit more contrite.
They've messed up 2 of my orders in the past month. I got a brief apology, but I felt they could be doing a little more. IMHO, it would be nice if they not only apologized, but explain that they're going through a tough transition, mistakes were made and sincerely appreciate my business. I know about the transition only because of this forum, but I'll bet the majority of their customers are unaware of it.
I also think they'd be smart to offer a customer appreciation sale - to come right out in one of their email blasts and say "hey - we''ve fallen short of our high standards of customer service, and to make it up, we're offering a 25% off sale to anyone who made a purchase in the past 30 days" or something like that.
All of that said, I feel for Russ and P&C - I am still happy to be patient and am glad they are a supporter of this site and forum.
I totally agree NumberSix. There are plenty of sponsors on this site that we all use that also offer free shipping on orders over $XX. While I am waiting for the dust to settle as well, most of us only have a finite amount of patience and sympathy. If I order from 4noggins or SP with my next 3 or 4 orders and P&C doesn't try to wow me, I may never place another order there. I have been waiting for the "P&C is back in full swing" thread, but unfortunately haven't seen it yet.
Just my .02

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you received yesterday's email from us, you might have seen that we did mention the frustration for our customers and ourselves, for that matter, and then we offered some very strong deals on popular items by way of thanking people for their patience. The email that will hit tomorrow will contain even more of these types of specials. The reason that it's taken this long to address in an email to our customers is that these emails are written well in advance of hitting your inbox, so we can properly prepare the deals that will be included. Prior to the time I wrote them, we firmly believed that things would have been ironed out at that point. That wasn't the case, and so we addressed it yesterday. We will be running more really strong discounts as our way of apologizing for our customers' difficulties, because words are fine, but actions are more important.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Believe it or not, despite the seeming ubiquity of computers in our lives (especially among those of us posting to internet fora...), an awful lot of people don't have them. It's not just "the older folks" (my father-in-law just 'inherited' my old laptop, upgraded to Windows 7, and immediately started transferring files off of the old hard drive from his dead desktop...), and it's not just folks with lower incomes (who probably aren't all that interested in luxury tobacco products either). It's regular folks who have other hobbies, or who simply don't have an interest in the online world, or who prioritize their spending differently. I've been on several other mailing lists (both electronic and 'junk mail') for years, and the number of catalogs I get keeps going up.
As for the sale of personal information (i.e. your mailing address), well, it happens. So far, I haven't seen any evidence of P&C using the address information that I provided to them for shipping my orders for anything else aside from the magazine - I haven't gotten any other tobacco or tobacciana-related mailings, or any other new unsolicited catalogs as a result of shopping with them online. And I'll admit - I often misspell my name at new merchants, just so that I can track who's selling my name to whom...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If you received yesterday's email from us, you might have seen that we did mention the frustration for our customers and ourselves, for that matter, and then we offered some very strong deals on popular items by way of thanking people for their patience. The email that will hit tomorrow will contain even more of these types of specials. The reason that it's taken this long to address in an email to our customers is that these emails are written well in advance of hitting your inbox, so we can properly prepare the deals that will be included. Prior to the time I wrote them, we firmly believed that things would have been ironed out at that point. That wasn't the case, and so we addressed it yesterday. We will be running more really strong discounts as our way of apologizing for our customers' difficulties, because words are fine, but actions are more important.
Thanks Russ - glad to hear that. I don't want to be too hard on you guys. I believe you're all working with the best intentions.
FWIW, I don't see it the way some others here see it. Although these days small companies are being gobbled up left and right by giant multi-national corporations, I don't think this merger falls into that category.
P&C is a good company, offers some excellent values and deserves our business - and I trust that they will get it together relatively soon and we will all be the better for it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The larger tobacco vendors such as Cigars International, Cigars.Com, JR Cigars, Thompson, Corona, and a host of others continue to send out their print "catalogs" regularly.
I know this "sounds" true, but it's not. The Post Office recently reported a surprising increase in the past year of catalog mailings, and "junk mail" is actually on the rise.
What many people don't realize is that a large portion of our customer base is not computer friendly and only know us by phone and our printed catalogs.
I take back what I said. You fellows make a good point.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just got the new magazine/catalog. It looks a lot like the ones I got at Christmas 2012 and 2011 from P&C.
I kinda like 'em. They are something entertaining to look at when I don't feel like sitting at my comp.
I am not surprised at the emphasis on OTCs because I will bet that a lot of P&C customers who are less computer oriented are also old school smokers. Remember, before this latest acquisition, P&C was the online face of a brick and mortar store, and they had customers through the store.
I am perfectly willing to be patient - I was in IT before I retired, and it's a quality reinforced by that profession! I don't make orders very often - I have long gotten past the impulse purchase stage. (Being on a fixed income reinforces that. :P )I have lots of good stuff on my shelves, mostly purchased from P&C. Had a nice bowl of Larry's Blend last night, and opened a can of Beverwyck 2 or 3 weeks ago.
I will enjoy the magalog - catazine - whatever - and will make an order in a couple of months. I know they'll fix stuff. Thanks for keeping us informed, Russ.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Either way if customer service is at the core of a transition then letting those who don't want to be on a mailing list opt out should be a pretty simple solution.
I dont disagree. I'm not getting bombarded by catalogs that stemmed from my purchases at P&C either...I suppose you are or are expecting to.

I guess I'm simple about the whole opt out thing, I have a trash can.

I have no connection to P&C, other than I like to order from there some, not nearly as much as most of you. If you or Everyone here never order from there again, it will have no effect on me. My point which wasnt clear in my other post is this:

I understand the frustrations that the OP and the old cajun and several others are experiencing, I also understand the frustrations that Russ is experiencing, I've been on both ends professionally. I can only speak from my personal experience with them and say, Im sure itll be better soon and your frustrations will be eased somehow, maybe not! Also I know alot of these folks and wanted to tell Russ, hey this is frustrating for everyone involved, but it'll be ok, maybe not!

As far as your catalog that you hate so bad, email P&C and say "Dear sir, I'd like to opt out of your corporate turd catalog and dont send another, Please." Or throw it away.

There has been no mention of P&C selling info or anything like that, so WTH?

Anyway I know none of this makes a hill of beans and it'll probly just piss a couple of you off but so be it

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Got mine today, and, hey, in this day and age I am happy to receive anything reminiscent of the good ol' days of pipe catalogues filling my mailbox.
And I'm sure their merger logistical problems will soon be behind them.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
"PipesandCigars.com partners with companies that offer products and services we believe may be of interest to our customers. If you purchase a product from us, there is a chance we may share your name with another company whose products and services might interest you."
Oh crap - I got to admit, that's sleazy behavior - I wouldn't have expected that.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
"PipesandCigars.com partners with companies that offer products and services we believe may be of interest to our customers. If you purchase a product from us, there is a chance we may share your name with another company whose products and services might interest you."
I stand corrected..

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I understand the backorders and some of the other frustrations with the move, but I was a little suprised by the email i received from a rep at P&C today. I inquired about not receiving a confirmation 7 days after placing the order and received a friendly email saying that my order got lost in the system but they will be sending the items they had in stock so i had some tobacco while they waited for the rest to come in. I was happy to hear that. I then discovered that I was charged for the entire order including the back ordered items that had no ETA. I emailed back asking if this would be the new norm for any customers who pay using Paypal. I have always paid using Paypal and have never been charged for items that havent shipped. I was suprised to hear the "coincidental" timing of this news and the merger. does anybody know about why this has changed? Im not a fan of paying for something that has not been shipped or even having an ETA on when it may arrive.
I applaud Russ's responses in these forums and will continue to patronize P&C. I am hoping to hear if this is a new Paypal procedure or if this is a Cigars International thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.