Is The Esoterica Bubble Ending Because of China?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I read this comment regarding the Esoterica boom on a pipe forum:

"The Chinese whales have backed off. They are looking for pre-STG Dunhill now vs Esoterica. Some of their largest proxy buyers are sitting on a lot of product that won't move or won't move at rates that make it lucrative. The bubble has technically burst, but since it was all opaque to consumers they had no way to see it was a bubble or know it's over. "

What do you think? Are current Esoterica aftermarket prices driven by the Chinese market (and is it over)?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
China is a big market with a lot of money. People are going crazy there for specialty scotch too I hear.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Esoterica tobaccos are left on B&M shelves gathering dusk while most flock to websites and their "limited" quantities. Aftermarket buyers are still stuck on the notion that online is the only place to go for the gold bags and often pay whatever scalpers are charging. China may well buy a lot of it, but not all of it. An out of state B&M called me in early Fall of this year wanting to know if I wanted any Pembroke. I got two 8 ounce bags for just under $60 and the date codes are from 2018. The bubble is a carefully crafted marketing deception.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd like to know the source for that comment from another forum before I give it any credence. At last November's WCPS, vendors were talking about how good the Chinese market is. Clearly, Esoterica products are now flowing to China, with different names on blends than those heading to the US market. Some of these were starting to show up on eBay before they clamped down on tobacco sales a few months ago.
Smoking Pipes opened an office in China. What about that suggests that the market has gone soft? The market for ultra high grade pipes may have gone soft, but tobaccos?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Esoterica tobaccos are left on B&M shelves gathering dusk while most flock to websites and their "limited" quantities. Aftermarket buyers are still stuck on the notion that online is the only place to go for the gold bags and often pay whatever scalpers are charging. China may well buy a lot of it, but not all of it. An out of state B&M called me in early Fall of this year wanting to know if I wanted any Pembroke. I got two 8 ounce bags for just under $60 and the date codes are from 2018. The bubble is a carefully crafted marketing deception.

View attachment 13894
+1

It's available if you're willing to make the effort to find it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

View attachment 13894

That is true for many Esoterica blends but not necessarily the case for Peacehaven, Stonehaven and Penzance. The after market sellers and a few people are quick on the draw calling their list of Esoterica B&M's. The best bet is if you happen to have a B&M near you that won't sell to anyone but walk in traffic, or better yet, regulars. Not many of those left.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Interesting timing. I can say from a few sales I have done with a buyer in China that recently he has not even responded back to me on certain Germain blends. I was only clearing out excess so no skin off my....

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Clearly, Esoterica products are now flowing to China, with different names on blends than those heading to the US market....
Smoking Pipes opened an office in China.
Smoking Pipes and others ship directly to China. The "bubble" people are referring to is a consequence of retaliatory customs lockdowns due to Trump trade policy against China. I trade Esoterica for Germain (RDF) with a fellow from Taiwan (which is China Post), and the customs crackdown is formidable.

Reactions: artvandelay007
Oct 7, 2016
Interesting timing. I can say from a few sales I have done with a buyer in China that recently he has not even responded back to me on certain Germain blends. I was only clearing out excess so no skin off my....
A Taiwanese source tells me that there are basically three Chinese mainland based resellers who play on a large scale. I think the source quoted in the OP is correct in so far as this class of buyer is concerned, and I imagine your former buyer is in that category.

Pioestud is getting over $80 a 50 g tin for Murray’s era Dunhill. My sense is that the price on those has increased substantially over what he sold them for a year ago, but I don’t keep price charts on tobacco. Maybe those tins are going to US customers, but I doubt it.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Yeah - unfortunately, here in Florida, there are painfully few B&M Pipe shops left. Cigars have remained somewhat popular, but pipe smoking has gone terribly soft here. Probably too many millennials! rotf

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Smoking Pipes and others ship directly to China. The "bubble" people are referring to is a consequence of retaliatory customs lockdowns due to Trump trade policy against China. I trade Esoterica for Germain (RDF) with a fellow from Taiwan (which is China Post), and the customs crackdown is formidable.
Taiwan has its own postal service, Chunghwa Post. It'd be rather remarkable for the postal service of mainland China, China Post, to serve Taiwan, as they are separate countries.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'd like to know the source for that comment from another forum before I give it any credence. At last November's WCPS, vendors were talking about how good the Chinese market is. Clearly, Esoterica products are now flowing to China, with different names on blends than those heading to the US market. Some of these were starting to show up on eBay before they clamped down on tobacco sales a few months ago.
Smoking Pipes opened an office in China. What about that suggests that the market has gone soft? The market for ultra high grade pipes may have gone soft, but tobaccos?
It’s a pretty knowledgeable and reliable source.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
A Taiwanese source tells me that there are basically three Chinese mainland based resellers who play on a large scale. I think the source quoted in the OP is correct in so far as this class of buyer is concerned, and I imagine your former buyer is in that category.

Pioestud is getting over $80 a 50 g tin for Murray’s era Dunhill. My sense is that the price on those has increased substantially over what he sold them for a year ago, but I don’t keep price charts on tobacco. Maybe those tins are going to US customers, but I doubt it.
I agree with everything you said. He sent a letter asking for older Dunhill. Promised 6 figures if I could supply enough. I dont have any Murray era. I can say he had plenty of money, paid top dollar and never had a bad transaction. Wish he would get into Captain Black..

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
He sent a letter asking for older Dunhill. Promised 6 figures if I could supply enough. I dont have any Murray era.

That's curious. Considering it's 20+ year old tins, how much could anyone possibly supply? Even hoarders are eventually going to smoke through their stash. At least Esoterica is a renewable source.

Status
Not open for further replies.