Is the current Dunhill still high quality tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
I understand that the older Dunhill blends may be superior to todays offering (not by my experience..but by what I read in the forums).
Is the current offering by Dunhill still quality tobacco? I smoke Sam Gawith and Esoterica tobaccos..is it on par with these makers? Or should I search for vintage tins...
Thanks....

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You'll find a quality smoke across the board with all Dunhill products, Steelman. Long time pipe smokers sometime get misty eyed describing their vintage tobaccos but I have no reference point there. Their current product is made by Orlik (Certainly no slouch in the tobacco world) and today Dunhill Nightcap is my favorite go-to tobacco.
That said, I'd love the opportunity to contrast and compare the old stuff vs. current production if the chance ever presents itself.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
Thanks, fnord. I'll give them a try... I was specifically thinking nightcap myself....

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I do miss the Dunhills of the 70's and 80's, but the current offerings

are great tobacco's.
http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/duntobac.htm

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Never had one of the older tins to know but I can say that the current Dunhill isn't bad. It doesn't quite strike my fancy as does Samuel Gawith but it isn't bad.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I'm with fnord, having no reference point and only having the current production tins, I say it's great tobacco

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm planning to get some Dunhill Flake in the near future... Any opinions on that one guys?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm planning to get some Dunhill Flake in the near future... Any opinions on that one guys?

zhizn

Lurker
Nov 9, 2010
I have not tried the Dunhills of old but I have found a new favorite in Royal Yacht, very nice.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Good to hear the positive reports on Dunhill. I just ordered 2 NC & 2 EMP, and I am looking forward to then ariving in Canada (can't buy them here currentlly) and sampling them.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Methinks I'm going to get a few Dunhill Flake to cellar then.
I've personally lost the desire to try any vintage tins, especially ones that are currently unavailable. I'm okay with letting the past stay in the past! Latakia blends especially I tend to prefer fairly fresh, so I'm happy with the current Orlik production...

Jul 12, 2011
I was pop'in Flake like PEZ for awhile, had to take a break from

the stuff, but a great AM smoke for me w/side of coffee
As for the other blends; I do keep Nightcap, EMP and London

in the rotation (not trying the blends of old to compare then to) as I really enjoy them

olivercramden

Lurker
Aug 23, 2012
Just recently opened my 1st tin of Dunhill Flake. My experience is with bulk SG FVF, and a few G&H flakes.

Beautiful presentation, not too damp to smoke out of the tin, and the most light-bodied V flake I've tried.

I'll purchase again w/o hesitation, though G&H Dark Unscented is my go-to at present.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently cracked a new tin of Dunhill flake and it is tasty, how does it compare to the Murray Dunhill Light Flake? I honestly don't remember, I know I liked the old Light Flake and I like the new one so I will smoke the new one. I do have a lot of tins of the Murray stuff from 02, but since I am not smoking English blends right now, they will have to wait. The new dunhill flake is tasty but there are better flakes to my taste out there. I will smoke the one I have but will probably not re order.

Status
Not open for further replies.