PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
str8 I agree that for pipe smoking to survive down the generations, particularly with the current pipe smoking stigma, that the family 'role model' will be important. In my case it was my dad, and I think my son will follow suit.
Only a s suggestion, but if nobody has done one recently you could think of starting a thread on just that theme - 'my (family) pipe smoking history' 'how/why I started' or suchlike?? I would certainly post a response if you did, but I don't want to 'steal' your theme.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I had a similar discussion with my wife. Apparently her mother was over and saw some of my jars of tobacco sitting on the shelf downstairs. Her comment to my wife was 'he has enough tobacco to last a year' so now she seems to think that I should only order once a year. I explained to my wife (she already know I could care less what my mother-in-law thinks or sez) that some of the tobacco (LBF, LTF, any FM I have) needs to age before it's smoked. I then explained to her the numbers. She spends $55 on a carton of cigs every two weeks. That works out to $110/mo (give or take depending on how much she smokes) I spend between $65 and $80 on tobacco every two to three months. The discussion ended there when she found out she spends alot more than I do.
Men have their vises and women have theirs and we will never be able to agree on it. Centuries have passed with women harping on men about what we do. You think they would learn that it just doesn't work and let men be men and women be women lol.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
@rmason: The hipsters that I have come across are well versed in pipe smoking thanks to the web and forums like this one.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Funny you mention that flakeyjakey, I was thinking of developing a discussion on pipe heritage, or even write a blog too. Tonight I think I'll do that, except it'll have to be after I watch Breaking Bad 8O. I'll make sure too give you a nudge when I do,if your offer still stands.

-Brian

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Have faith not all of us younger pipe smokers are hipsters. I am twenty-four years old and far from a hipster and love my pipes. I got into it because one of my professors in college offered me a summer job and he smoked a pipe. Since then I have started converting a number of my friends from dipping and cigar smoking. The price difference between cigars and pipes is a big plus in our favor. Younger, non cigarette, tobacco enthusiasts will hopefully continue to advance this hobby so that pipes and tobacco are readily available to us all.

Aug 14, 2012
I don't see any increase in smokers in NYC. The only pipesmokers I know I either met here or started them smoking myself.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I have started about a year ago. I was interested in Cigars and some men from my church turned me on to pipe smoking. I think the younger generation want to grab a hold of something that slows them down in this fast paced life. Pipe smoking kinda forces you to do that if done correctly. That was the appeal for me. They people I smoke, including myself, all wanted to something we enjoyed and something that slowed us down so we could think. I do know you can do that without the pipe, but it helps.

lordape

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2013
Have faith not all of us younger pipe smokers are hipsters. I am twenty-four years old and far from a hipster and love my pipes. I got into it because one of my professors in college offered me a summer job and he smoked a pipe. Since then I have started converting a number of my friends from dipping and cigar smoking. The price difference between cigars and pipes is a big plus in our favor. Younger, non cigarette, tobacco enthusiasts will hopefully continue to advance this hobby so that pipes and tobacco are readily available to us all.

Another 24 year old who is as far from "hipster" as could be.

I've always thought pipe smoking was classy so I decided to give it a go. :D

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow I'm so happy to see Paul here commenting on this forum.
Paul I have to say thank you so much for your efforts in defending our pipe smoking rights.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have to say that I am very curious to see what people are saying about this topic in 5 years. I have a feeling that there is a large increase in tobacco sales right now due to the impending "tobacco tax." If that tax ever hit's, I have a feeling sales will drop and people will just start living off their cellars. I truely hope this doesn't happen as it will be bad for all, smokers and blenders alike.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know what the younger generation's interpretation of "hipster" might be. The last batch, in the

late 1960's and 1970's, allowed us all some latitude in longer hair for men, birth control for women,

and some of the best music in popular music history, but also generated an epidemic of addiction to

everything from heroine to model airplane glue, which really wasn't useful. Most young people have an authentic

need to annoy if not appall their elders. Apparently pipe smoking does that for some of these "kids," with

their particular parents and authority figures. To people who happen to be young, who would like to do

moderate pipe smoking in the grand old tradition, I say, welcome! Of all the ways you can assert yourself,

this is probably a pretty good one.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm new to pipe smoking but have an insatiable craving for knowledge when I am interested in something and consume voraciously as a result. I am also NOT a hipster, though I don't mind them (so long as they aren't of the "I have to be so different that I must stretch the definition of 'unique' to an extreme" mold), but I picked up pipe smoking for a number of reasons: my grandpa was a smoker -cigarettes, pipes and cigars- (though he did die of cancer), it's classy, old school, flavorful, relaxing and a hobby. I served in the military and one of my Chiefs smoked a cob while out-to-sea, so pipe smoking has been around me throughout my life at different periods. I want to switch to pipes full-time and cut out cigarettes, which I have found to be harder than I thought due to pipe smoking not being best suited for a five-minute smoke break at work or between classes. I have a modest collection of pipes and visit the local B&M tobacco shop regularly for new briar, blends or cigars (I'm on the same course currently as my grandpa, but I'm not a chain smoker like he was). I love pipe smoking.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I believe it is. As someone that is part of the YouTube Pipe Community, there are new pipe smokers popping up all the time. It seems that on a weekly basis more first time pipers are joining the ranks of the pipe smoking world and the YouTube Pipe Community. Personally I think a lot of younger people are taking to the pipe because of movies like Lord of the Rings.
I've had the good fortune to hang out with fellow pipe smokers on several occasions, and have even met a couple guys from this forum. I've also come across several pipe smokers in my local community.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Yes, we see a lot more young people at pipe shows than we did just a few years ago, and they do know how to smoke a pipe. Be sure to see Kevin's post about the CMU student who skipped commencement to smoke, and win, the UPCA national smoking contest in the Women's Division.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@pylorns - YouTube has many different communities, whether you're into knives, guns, prepping, survival, video games, trains, or pretty much anything else there is a community of people that make videos relating to different subjects. The same goes for the pipe community. There is a large volume of pipe smokers that make videos and we call ourselves Pipe Presenters. There is also a cigar community and there's a lot like me that enjoy both hobbies. As a group we do pipe tobacco reviews, cigar reviews, show off and talk about different pipes, do how to videos etc. and many of us make random video's as well but they usually revolve around pipe or cigars. You can subscribe to different people so anytime they post a new video it will show up in your feed so you don't have to hunt for video's from people you enjoy watching. I'm subscribed to over 350 pipe presenters. Some people post video's daily, some a couple a month and some are random and sparse. There are so many new people that join the community weekly that I can't keep up with all of them and then of course there are some I just don't subscribe to. About 90% of the community are genuine guys/gals and are super friendly. I've made friends with many of them and have hung out with many of them on several occasions. There is a group of us that actually Skype on a regular basis, (nightly, weekly). I was hesitant about making video's and posting them online, but after watching some videos for a while and seeing how great the pipe community is I decided to join the group and make video's. I've met some great people and many I can actually call my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.