PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a smart phone and I do most of my viewing of this forum on my iPad but I will never give up my paper journal, my daily notes book, or my Lamy fountain pen. lol

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very funny. I still must have a newspaper in the morning but more an more I'm reading ebooks. However, I still write notes on paper and pay bills by check.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I am a huge fan of very nice stationery, quality writing instruments, and the other accoutrements that go into correspondence. I am also an artist, so of course, paper (and canvas) are a huge part of what I do. What I think is going to happen though, as there is a decreasing demand for paper, is that the price will begin to drop. Right now, paper is still very very expensive.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
We had a bluegrass jam at the house last night and everybody had their music on a tablet. Somebody would announce a set, there would be some tapping on screens, then music! Far cry from not that long ago when people would be carrying briefcases full of paper music and sorting through pages.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I joke that I am still a quill and parchment guy, which is almost true. I print a lot off the computer to have it in paper.

Electronic "documents" still feel like illusions to me. Perhaps so is paper, but paper provides a stronger sense of the

illusion being invoked. Young newspaper readers, who actually read the printed paper versions, are rare. People

younger than 40 mostly just don't do that, sadly. Screens seem so efficient and convenient, but they provide a thinner

and thinner slice of what is available, and cater to our whims and self-aggrandized opinions far too well.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
This is funny, I work in the mailing/printing business and we are constantly hearing about how mail and by extension paper, is dead. The funny thing is people are using more and more paper every year. Since they get their bills emailed to them they feel they are environmentally friendly.......then they print out their ebills for filing on bleached bright white printer paper using toxic toner and ink. Curious.
On last thing to keep in mind............there has never been a tree cut down in the history of mankind, to create paper. Paper is a waste by-product of the lumber mills constituting saw dust, scraps and the leafy crap at the top of trees that is no good for building lumber.
Sorry.....rant over. Apparently this hit a sensitive spot.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I have iPads, iPones, and all sorts of electronic gizmos. But the one thing I can't seem to be rid of are my books. I love the feel of a well bound hardback book. I like turning the pages, the smell of the pages and bindings. I like building with my hands, wood is my thing. I don't think paper will ever die.

Jun 4, 2014
In the insurance business paper is very much alive and well. We may do allot of things electronically, but in the end the companies want signatures on paper.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
This is funny, I work in the mailing/printing business and we are constantly hearing about how mail and by extension paper, is dead. The funny thing is people are using more and more paper every year. Since they get their bills emailed to them they feel they are environmentally friendly.......then they print out their ebills for filing on bleached bright white printer paper using toxic toner and ink. Curious.
Same here. I work in printing/mailing and I hope it isn't dead. My paycheck depends on it. However, I rarely use the medium myself for reading/writing. :|

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"We had a bluegrass jam at the house last night and everybody had their music on a tablet. Somebody would announce a set, there would be some tapping on screens, then music!"
Yes, but I have yet to break a piece of paper or a real (spiral-bound) tablet when I dropped it. Further, and thank God, real paper doesn't require batteries or a connection to the Infernalnet!

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
:rofl:
I'm a big fan of paper. There is nothing like being able to actually hold a book or letter in your hands. Being environmentally conscious is something that I think is really important, but I don't think everything should be replaced.
I'm definitely going to send that link out to a few people. They'll know I'll have the smuggest look on my face by the end. :mrgreen:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I don't clench my pipe in my teeth when I smoke I hold it so an e-reader makes it much easier to read a good book and enjoy a pipe at the same time. But I like paper too. I write old school checks out on paper to pay bills and such and don't mind the tactile attributes of an analog book once in a while. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.