Is mold an issue when cellaring? How to spot it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
Finally, for the first time in my life, I was finally able to snatch 2 tins of Esoterica, they are on their way. I've heard these are prone to get moldy. Anyone has any suggestions in case I needed to cellar? Seems even one of the experienced guys was having issues.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Finally, for the first time in my life, I was finally able to snatch 2 tins of Esoterica, they are on their way. I've heard these are prone to get moldy. Anyone has any suggestions in case I needed to cellar? Seems even one of the experienced guys was having issues.
I've got several pounds of Penzance from 12 years ago in jars. No issues.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Embers has plume, I have mold. Big difference. Plume good, mold bad. There was no treating it other than the garbage. Fuzzy fuzzy mold. I got a new Tin of tobacco no problem, but what they couldn't refund me was the 2 years of age I had on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasing Embers

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I wouldn’t sweat it too much. If it happens, it happens... it’s all part of the hobby. Generally, you won’t have issues. Most manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure a quality product. But on rare occasions there are issues. And usually the manufacturer will make it right.

Tobacco is an organic product and subject to the vagaries of nature. But common sense and some of above mentioned tips will reduce the likelihood of mold.

I have a lot of tobacco cellared, many blends and manufacturers, and in 30 years I have not had any issues. A dark, dry, cool basement, that is normally around 60-65 degrees year round is ideal

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
Guys, slightly off topic, but maybe not... what ever happened to square tins? Some tobacco that used to come in square tin, no longer does. Orlik, Sillem's, ...etc.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
They tend to lose their seal and many companies changed to the round tins for better sealing.
Makes sense, from my exhaustive research I came to the conclusion that anyone who stores them in square tins should immediately put the tobacco in a jar. And then donate, or sell their square tins. Especially OGS, man those things are super unreliable.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Makes sense, from my exhaustive research I came to the conclusion that anyone who stores them in square tins should immediately put the tobacco in a jar. And then donate, or sell their square tins. Especially OGS, man those things are super unreliable.
These tins weren't intended as a means for long term storage. They're good for a number of years, and then they start to fail. Frankly, I don't believe that many of them are 100% sealed, ever.

You want long term storage? A cutter top tin or a mason jar.

The aging/cellaring phenomenon is relatively recent compared to pipe smoking. When I started out smoking a pipe, 47 years ago, very few people cellared and aged blends. You went to the tobacconist and bought waht you needed for a couple of weeks or a month, then dropped by and bought some more. The blends you bought were already aged before being made available for sale.

It wasn't until the '80's that a few people started cellaring and talking about the benefits of prolonged aging, and the practice grew. Cellaring didn't really become widespread until the early 2000's. And with all of the oncoming regulatory BS, many more of us stocked up.

Mold is just one of those risks that you take.

Reactions: eddiedds

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
I've never kept pipe tobacco for a long time (I smoke it too quickly), but I have about a hundred cigars, some of them several yrs old or better. Rule of thumb with cigars is 60 to 65% humidity, below 75 degrees and you'll never have a problem, and I never have. Frankly, unless you are storing a huge quantity, I would keep it in a large humidor just like you would cigars, with lids on loose so air can get to it. If cigars don't mold, I don't know why pipe tobacco would under those conditions.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
These tins weren't intended as a means for long term storage. They're good for a number of years, and then they start to fail. Frankly, I don't believe that many of them are 100% sealed, ever.

You want long term storage? A cutter top tin or a mason jar.

The aging/cellaring phenomenon is relatively recent compared to pipe smoking. When I started out smoking a pipe, 47 years ago, very few people cellared and aged blends. You went to the tobacconist and bought waht you needed for a couple of weeks or a month, then dropped by and bought some more. The blends you bought were already aged before being made available for sale.

It wasn't until the '80's that a few people started cellaring and talking about the benefits of prolonged aging, and the practice grew. Cellaring didn't really become widespread until the early 2000's. And with all of the oncoming regulatory BS, many more of us stocked up.

Mold is just one of those risks that you take.
That's interesting. I believe you. My dad was a dunhill fan when I was a baby. But I never saw a cellar. The above comment was my sarcastic response to Embers to get him to send me an orlik square tin. I'm looking everywhere for them, I want one.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
That's interesting. I believe you. My dad was a dunhill fan when I was a baby. But I never saw a cellar.
That's because for the most part no one really needed one. Shortages weren't common and even if the pipe store was out of a blend, you'd just buy something else. The aged tobacco concept wasn't something the average smoker thought much about until Pease popularized it. I'm sure there were always blenders and tobacco experts that knew the benefits of aging, but your average smoker just smoked it from the tin or pouch and didn't give it a second thought. The biggest threat was that you might forget an open tin in a drawer and your tobacco would dry out.
Truthfully the cellaring fad is as much a curse to availability as anything the FDA has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.