Is It Possible I Have a Physical Aversion to Burley?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well, based on my experience with Amphoras,only I can say, yes sometimes this brand seems cause some bite,perhaps this is caused by PC additions into theselike Otc blends?And yes,I do agree,I'm observing often Burley forward blends may cause some sratchyness in thoroat,nonetheless,I condider this less irritating than scortched leatehery tongue after having smoked some pure bright virginias, still facing troubles with primary virginia based blends,unless there is some perique added in,

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I definitely feel the nicotine in Burley more than other tobaccos. As to the bite, my best advice is to read Cosmic's comment, and then read it again. And in a year or so, reread it. It's great advice of which I like to frequently remind myself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A nicotine buzz and/or nausea and tongue bite and other mouth burning and stinging are two different things and burley can be implicated in either for specific people. One long experienced pipe smoker on Forums found that the burley variant Tabac-Manil Semois made him throw up. I don't think he was being hyperbolic. Others are resistant to both the buzz and the bite with burley. So far that seems to be my experience. My worst tongue bite/mouth burn seems to come from the burning flavorings in over flavored aromatics.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My worst tongue bite/mouth burn seems to come from the burning flavorings in over flavored aromatics.
My experience as well. Burley can cause the throat to constrict and the stomach some disturbance, but the aromatic toppings can really create an acidic feel in the mouth and throat.

We all tend to talk about "burley" like its a nic filled leaf that can make you sick, and Virginias as if they are devoid of nicotine. But, most aromatics are burleys, and they barely have any nicotine. And, then we have the African and dark Virginias, which can take a moose down. When we say burley, we have to remember that not all leaf is created equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.