Is it o.k. to leave half smoked tobacco in the pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
A quick question from beginner pipe smoker : I have a habit of leaving half a bowl of tobacco in the pipe over night. This is because sometimes I cannot finish the bowl. I would smoke the left over tobacco first thing in the morning, and find that it tastes o.k. I was just wondering if it is a bad habit to leave half smoked tobacoo in the pipe over a long period of time. Would it Have negative effect on the pipe? Thanks.
Riverchaopraya.

soylentgreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2011
Key phrase is "if you like it". In my experience, some tobaccos do very well with that while others don't.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The great thing about a pipe is that you don't have to smoke it all at once. You can put it down and comeback to it later. Doesn't hurt the pipe at all.

Now, you may find that some blends don't take well to being smoked that way. From what I have heard, aros in general, and especially your heavily cased American style aros, don't taste good after having been relit with a long break. Don't smoke 'em myself, so I have no personal experience.

YMMV, of course.

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
Thank you so much, all of you. Now I can lay the matter to rest. So very good to have kind support from other pipe smokers. I live in Thailand and it's so hard to find helpful informations about pipe smoking. Thanks.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
While some may enjoy this practice, I liken it to leaving a half a glass of beer out on the counter overnight and finishing it the next day.
I'd prefer to start with a fresh one.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Though not a preffered method it is ok , if it still tastes good go for it . There are a few of us here that save up Dottle and smoke it at a later date . Pipe smoking should be fun ,not about rules set in stone .

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Funny thing about pipe tobaccy. It donen't seem to " get stale " in a half schmoked pipe if left overnight. I have picked up a pipe and finished it from the previous night and never had a bad taste / reaction. Now, try that with a cigar..... yuk !!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
if it is a bad habit to leave half smoked tobacoo in the pipe over a long period of time
No it is not a bad habit.

As others have noted some blends will not taste good doing so, others will be fine. It is entirely up to you.

I do so often, never give it a thought.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I rarely smoke unfinnished tobacco - just dump it out - may seem wasteful - but I like a fresh start with my pipe. Also some pipes just don't sit well after smoking them - an acrid taste seems to develop thus tarnishing my palate for further smokes during the day. This problem can sometimes be ameleorated by leaving a pipe cleaner in the stem. Surprisingly all Corn Cob pipes can be smoked all day long with no deliterious effects.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I often light up a bowl in the morning and continue smoking it, bit by bit, throughout the day as work breaks come up. Often times the last puff is the sweetest. Do whatever works for you.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I probably did this a couple times when I first smoked a pipe in my late teens, but it seems a little disgusting to me now. If I couldn't finish a bowl, I'd sooner dump it.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i do it. it's fine. you can even pack a bowl and smoke it later. some might even say that improves the quality of the smoke. but, on the other hand, i would never lay out tobacco on a sheet of paper or a plate and let it sit for half an hour before packing a bowl.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I do that with most of my pipes. I usually have three or four pipes each filled with a different tobacco. I enjoy smoking different tobaccos each time I light a bowl, and partially burned bowls still taste great - and they're a lot easier to light than fresh bowls.
At the end of the evening, I often treat myself to a mystery bowl. If there are two or three unfinished bowls, I'll often layer the different tobaccos on top of each other into one pipe, and as I smoke that bowl, the flavors gently transition from one type of tobacco to another to another. So far every time I've done that, I've really enjoyed the whole bowl from start to finish, even when it sounds like the layers might clash, like an English blend layer next to a sweet aromatic layer.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I do it on occasion myself. It's a matter of taste and otherwise harmless. I also occasionally load a noel agee hours before smoking to dry out over-moist tobaccos a bit

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
i do that all day long but never left it overnite , will have too try that! for the price of tobacco every bit counts!!! :puffpipe:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I do this often too ... mostly because it's so cold outside lately.
Sometimes the tobacco can taste a bit stale if it's been sitting out for a while, but sometimes as was said above it seems to do a little something extra for the flavor.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Key phrase is "if you like it". In my experience, some tobaccos do very well with that while others don't.
This is the perfect way to phrase it, ive ben taught you can keep used tobacco in your pipes for weeks even, it just tastes different

Status
Not open for further replies.